Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Security

I have recently signed up to Virgin Fibre Broadband.

Everything works fine except my iPad shows me a 'weak security 'message in Settings with the further message to advising me to 'configure the router to use WPA2 (AES) or WPA3 security type'

The Virgin installation engineer advised me that the hub is secure but that Apple had not in effect caught up with the settings in the latest router.

Do I need to take any action please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: WiFi Security

@JohnBrandish wrote:

I have recently signed up to Virgin Fibre Broadband.

Everything works fine except my iPad shows me a 'weak security 'message in Settings with the further message to advising me to 'configure the router to use WPA2 (AES) or WPA3 security type'

The Virgin installation engineer advised me that the hub is secure but that Apple had not in effect caught up with the settings in the latest router.

Do I need to take any action please?

You could access the HUB and change the security to 'WPA2-PSK' rather than 'WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK' under the 'Security' drop down for each band (Ignore the green highlight in the image!):

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Carl.Would that effect the WiFi speed? Any idea why Virgin would configure the router in that way if they knew that would produce the Apple message?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@JohnBrandish wrote:

Thanks Carl.Would that effect the WiFi speed? Any idea why Virgin would configure the router in that way if they knew that would produce the Apple message?

It shouldn't affect speed at all, it just allows backwards compatibility with legacy devices that don't support WPA2.

Virgin have supplied these routers for YEARS. Apple have only recently released an OS that thinks the security standards aren't good enough.

How are VM to know what a company would do in the future?

It wouldn't just be VM, all ISPs would be affected.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Because it can be cracked now quite easily, apple are making you aware of this to help keep your network secure. It will make no difference to wifi speed as it just encrypts the data being sent. (any delay would be in the range of fractions of a second for encryption/decryption and not noticeable).  If you search, you can have a go at cracking your own network using "hashcat and hcxtools" 😉 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/new-wi-fi-attack-cracks-wpawpa2-passwords-with-ease/

0 Kudos