cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Pods: how to tell if they've improve connection?

jimthing
Superfast

I just received a WiFi Pod from VM, which I'm trying to use with a VM Hub 4. 

But have some basic technical questions, which the Pod help section does not really give.

I've logged into the Hub 4 router's settings panel (http://192.168.0.1 ) to see if anything in there says it's connected, but there doesn't seem to be anything I can find? 

I know when first plugged in the lights flash for 10 mins then turn off, but I'm still unsure on the following:

1. Is there a way to check the the Pod is actually connected? 

2. How can you check the strength of the signal near the Pod is actually better and stable?

For instance, my iPhone might be great everywhere, but other simpler devices (eg. smart plugs, or similar IoT devices; with no interface on them to do things like speed tests) that need to connect that have more basic WiFi chips in them may actually not be connecting properly or getting reliable signal. How can one check for that, without faffing about? 

The WiFi Pods help section uses language that is very evasive, ambiguous, vague, and frankly patronising ("leave it to us"). Like "Our Intelligent WiFi technology adapts and learns to help deliver WiFi, all around your home. Thanks to new technology in our Hubs and WiFi Pods, you can now create a mesh WiFi network that’s always improving."
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-intelligent-wifi-pods-faqs

The supposed help section offers absolutely nothing (even moderately) technical users can do to check our own networks are working properly. So I'm stuck, guessing... 

30 REPLIES 30

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
You could unplug it test your speed plug it back in test your speed in the same place.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Sure, but as I said, it's not devices like iPhones that are likely to have issues, but smaller ones like smart plugs. 

On something like an iPhone you can use a speedtest app, but on a smart plug you can't. 

Seemingly users can't even find out if Pods are connected to their network and properly in operation...?? 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The pods are made to a cost like all ISP stuff and will never compete with SoHo type kit.  My AP’s give full information about everything that is connected. Horses for courses I guess.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Let me explain better... 

I have a storage shed at the end of my short garden, with several smart plugs in it. Is there any way I can see how strong my signal is for these devices? 

Sure, my iPhone (with a great wireless chip in it) has acceptable WiFi connection speeds when using a speed check app like Speedtest.net – checking it while in shed. But how can I tell if the smart plugs (with their limited WiFi chips in them) are also now connecting with a decent signal? 

Obviously you cannot just open an app on these things to see the speed they're achieving (or some kind of signal strength meter), so I'm at a loss on whether this WiFi Pod is even doing anything or if it's even connected and working. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Well if you put your iPhone next to your smart plugs and your phone gets a good signal its likely so is your smart plugs.

@legacy1 wrote:
Well if you put your iPhone next to your smart plugs and your phone gets a good signal its likely so is your smart plugs.

But as I just explained. An iPhone has a high quality Wifi chip in it, whereas smart plugs have limited quality WiFi chips in them (given they're vastly cheaper IoT-type devices). Hence while the iPhone may be getting a signal, that doesn't mean the smart plugs are. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Smart plug don't need a lot of bandwidth its just on or off so if that works then it works.

Again, I know that. We're not talking about bandwidth, but rather signal.  

i.e The iPhone WiFi chip is high quality enough to pick-up a signal at longer distance, while the IoT one is not. So while the iPhone may be able to get a WiFi signal, the IoT one may not be able to – both being right next to each other. 

That's my problem. I cannot find a way to tell how strong the signal is for the IoT device, to see if it's getting a sustainable one...or if it's connection is repeatedly dropping off the WiFi network? Hence my question: Is there a way to do this, that doesn't involve guess work? 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Buy Smart plugs that display signal info?