Menu
kev801
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Pods Some Questions

How fast are the new WiFi Pods? I am on the 500mb Package would I get 500MB on WiFi around my house.  My virgin router is in the loft so it has to send the signal over three floors.

At the moment I have to use the Virgin Router in Modem mode and I have another mesh network to send my WiFi around the house.  I have to do this as I have around 38 devices connected at one time which leads me onto the next question.

Will the WiFi Pods handle a lot of devices? as I know the Virgin Router does not like a lot of devices.

Or should I just stick to my setup I have at the moment as I am getting around 200MB on WiFi on the ground floor.

I ask these questions because my son plays games and he complains about some lag on the setup I have at the moment.  He is connected to the first nod in my set up.

Thank you for any advice

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Pods Some Questions

Only way to limit lag is to run ethernet csble

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

jb66 beat me to it.

Has he tried connecting by ethernet to the node nearest to him as well as wifi.

My lad is a serious online gamer and refuses to use my wifi for any connections. He bought himself a pair of top of the range powerlines and although he only gets ~60Mbps from our 200 package - its way more than needed and very stable with no lag. To work though, these do need connected mains circuits with low noise.

You could always install an ethernet cable connection from the Hub in the loft running outside and into his room and put an ethernet switch on the other end to supply multiple ethernet connections and a wireless access point perhaps (if needed)

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
kev801
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you I will try that, all he goes on about is lag 🙂

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I doubt the pods would output 500Mbps. 

This is from the Plume website (who manufactured the pods) and I’m guessing these are theoretical throughout speeds being quoted and not actual connection speeds, and note the mention of “lab conditions”, in other words not real world tests:

PowerPods have dual-band 802.11b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi radios. We have seen single device Wi-Fi speeds of up to 350 Mbps for devices connected to PowerPods in ideal lab situations. 

The SuperPod are tri-band, adding an additional 5GHz 4x4 MIMO Wi-Fi radio to increase speeds and coverage throughout the home. For real-world single device maximum speeds on a SuperPod one hop away from the gateway pod, you can expect up to 400-450 Mbps.  We have seen raw single device Wi-Fi speeds of up to 850 Mbps on a SuperPod under ideal lab situations.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@kev801 wrote:

Thank you I will try that, all he goes on about is lag 🙂

You could do a "cheap" test.  You can get 20/50/100 metre runs of Cat5e cable for less than a tenner.  Just get the shortest you need to run from the Hub down to his gaming location.  Just trail it temporarily downstairs over carpet or floors - just for a few hours to see if it performs to his satisfaction.

If so, just put it in your "bits" cupboard and figure out how to do it permanently 😎

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.