Menu
PipTy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Pods Help

been having broadband issues for months with me having to reboot my HUB3 pretty much everyday and even when it works getting no where near my paid for speeds! Unable to get through to VIRGIN so decided to throw more cash at the problem and ordered WiFi Pods - arrived yesterday and followed install instructions - then received text from Virgin saying there was an issue with install and to call them. 2 hours later after being pushed around the houses - they decide they are faulty and will replace - but nothing heard since!

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: WiFi Pods Help

If you’re paying for the pod send it back. £5 per month (£60 per year) isn’t worth it when you can purchase your own better equipment. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
PipTy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I had some NETGEAR boosters but they didn't seem to work with either the HUB3 or my MAC? Thought this was a quick fix and they also claimed to boost your speed connection?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi, there are not that many experienced Pod users on the forum yet as the trial has only just ended - but if you hang on here one of them should be along soon and comment on what VM have told you about them.

TBH most people on here will tell you that the only way to guarantee improving your wifi is to just switch the Hub wifi off and get your own better quality stand alone equipment (not extenders/boosters/pods)

However, that said, you may have some other issue that is causing the problems that new wifi gear wont fix. Are you getting drops on connections or is it just speed fluctuations - or both. If drops - what happens on ethernet cable connected devices at the same time - do they drop too - and what do the various lights on the Hub show/do?

One thing to do first, do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
PipTy
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 18.20.04.png

 and I pay for 200!!!

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@PipTy wrote:

Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 18.20.04.png

 and I pay for 200!!!

What are your wired speeds like? Those are the speeds you pay for

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
PipTy
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

good point but who has wired devices these days?

Just had over an hour with some one from Virgin Customer Services - but they couldn't help - only upgrade me or deal with billing issues! Odd as it was the number given for tech support!

Now been told that Pods are out of stock! Either selling well or like mine non of them work! have to wait till Feb or so now to see if all the hype is worth it?

EE is looking more and more attractive

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I do! But anyway Gary means - just as a test to determine whether you have a VM connection issue - or just a wifi interference one - different solutions apply!

What VM BB package are you currently on - that looks like an old 50/5 one would do

If you are still in contract VM will charge you disconnection fees to leave for EE and it will probably be cheaper to just sort your wifi out with your own kit if that's the issue

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@PipTy wrote:

good point but who has wired devices these days?

Just had over an hour with some one from Virgin Customer Services - but they couldn't help - only upgrade me or deal with billing issues! Odd as it was the number given for tech support!

Now been told that Pods are out of stock! Either selling well or like mine non of them work! have to wait till Feb or so now to see if all the hype is worth it?

EE is looking more and more attractive

Lots of people majority of my 40+ devices are wired where possible.

Support won’t help with slow Wifi speeds and you cannot leave without penalty due to slow Wifi speeds. 

0 Kudos
PipTy
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

just used thew VM Connect APP to test my signal - it optimised my HUB3 - maybe that will help? I don't live in a big house so cant understand the issue! Anyway on a CONNECTed issue - the APP asked me to download a 'profile' and it now shows me lots of 'private wifi spots' in my area - what's the point?

IMG_965252818ADF-1.jpeg

0 Kudos