Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Frequently Drops or Stops Working

We have been having some major issues with our Hub 3 recently, it frequently drops the wifi completely (so the wireless network disappears from all wireless devices).

If it's not doing the above, we have also had issues with randomly selected devices on the network connecting with no internet connection (on Windows, this is "Connected, no internet"). When this happens disconnecting and reconnecting does not always fix the issue and instead we have to wait (sometimes up to an hour) before the router decides to work for these devices again.

We have tried factory resetting the router with the reset button and this has reduced the frequency of the second issue, however we are still getting regular full wifi dropouts.

I'm sure you'll understand how annoying this is, especially given the current work-from-home situation and we'd really appreciate some help on how to fix this issue (or whether we are looking at a faulty Hub 3).

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Frequently Drops or Stops Working

it may be a good idea to carry out a factory reset on the Hub using this exact method …

DO NOT DO THIS if the password on the base of the Hub is not legible or missing.

Instructions for Hub 3

Disconnect all unneeded ethernet cables from the rear of the Hub.

With the Hub Powered on use a paperclip or similar (I use a mobile phone SIM Slot tool) and do a pinhole reset.

Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.

DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.

Once a steady white and no other lights are illuminated check your system again.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply!

This was actually the method I used for the factory reset as we have previously tried the method from the router web interface and that didn't fix it so this was the next step I took.

Edit: I only depressed the pinhole button for 10 seconds though (as per Virgin's instructions), does 60 seconds do it differently?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes 60 seems to do a full reset 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ok, I've just performs a reset with the button pressed for 60 seconds so I'll see how that goes

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

To give an update on this, having repeated the factory reset process and held the button for 60 seconds, unfortunately it hasn't improved the situation.

We are also experiencing issues on the local network and therefore I suspect our router has a fault.

Have you got any ideas about how we can get in contact with Virgin and to talk to a person about this (the helpline phone number just took me to a robot that told me the router needed a reboot, rather than letting me talk to a real person)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Local issues based on?

Have you checked the service status page?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, accessing networked devices within our local area network. So they never exit the premises and yet still have issues.

The service status page for our local area shows no issues
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Is it still just Wi-Fi dropping?

Are wired connections ok?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

We don't have any wired connections so unfortunately I can't comment on that

0 Kudos