Menu
Jayswee148
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Faster download speed than Ethernet?

Hi - I’m a bit confused about my current internet situation and wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem.

i upgraded my virgin package to the 200 mbps internet speed last week and having found the sweet spot for my router my WiFi is finally decent upstairs. I purchased a TP link to improve my download speed and ping upstairs where I use my Xbox , it’s pretty much locked at 80-90 mbps download, 20mbps upload and 55 ms ping. 

obviously this was a fair way off the 200 mbps potential so I tried disconnecting the TP link and going back wireless and got the full 200 mbps as well as 30 ms ping (although the download speed does fluctuate). I thought it may be the house wiring causing the TP link to be unable to produce expected speeds so I tried connected the Xbox directly to the router Via Ethernet then testing again and it was still only at 90 mbps download and similar ping to the TP link - and again wireless it was much higher. I’m using cat5e Ethernet cables

im just wondering if I need to do something with the router to unlock higher download speeds or if anyone has any suggestions as to why it’s like this? Pretty much everything I’ve read online says wired connection even via TP link etc is almost always higher than WiFi so I’m a bit confused. Thanks

Jay

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Faster download speed than Ethernet?

Powerline adaptors will never give full speeds.

They're hindered even more-so by the ones that only have 100Mbps ports (not 1000Mbps ones).

90Mbps indicates with a CAT5 cable or a fault CAT5e cable.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Jayswee148
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the prompt reply - appreciate it!

im using a TP link AV-600 , I’m not tech savvy at all, does 600 mean upto 600 mbps? 

If not do you think it would be worth while trying one of the 1000 mbps TP links instead? I know I’ll never get the full 200 mbps with a power line but if I could get 150+ I think I’d be happy -  90 just doesn’t seem much when I used to get 80 on wireless on a 100mbps internet package.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Powerlines are unpredictable and not a good solution at all really.
Even getting the 1000Mbps ones you may still see similar speeds.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Hayley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello @Jayswee148,

Welcome to the community, thank you for posting on here.

Sorry to see you are having issues with your broadband.

I have managed to locate your account using your forums details, while looking on your Hub I saw this message:
'Some of the customer's WiFi devices are very close to the Hub and could be wasting valuable WiFi bandwidth. Connecting them via Ethernet could improve things for other WiFi devices'

Please can you try moving any devices that may be to close? 

Let me know when you have tried this.

Look forward to your response.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos