cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi/Ethernet constant disconnect and high ping/packet loss

6XWJo388n6
Joining in

Hi,
I recently got virgin media at my property and I've been getting constant high latency and packet loss, and my WiFi/Ethernet seems to disconnecting randomly for a few seconds, which happens on all the devices but not at the same time. I tried using the Ethernet cable which still has the same issue.

When the disconnect happens, the windows network icon shows the little globe, so it's not completely disconnecting and it says something about DNS not being configured properly.

I have reset the router multiple times with the pin-hole reset, I also disabled channel optimization under Smart WiFi, tried splitting the WiFi into 5GHz and 2.4GHz  under Advanced Settings->Wireless Security however the issue still persists.

I have attached the network status logs below and my BQM is here

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/85fd73fd3303b3e36855e0950e8e8b8fa668ddbe

It mostly happens when I'm gaming and you can see the packet loss spike on the graph when I was playing Warzone. I only 2-3 matches to make sure it's not the server and it still persisting.

33 REPLIES 33

Hi,
haven't had a revisit since the last one, the last engineer said they won't need to do one, just needed to check something in the cabinets (not 100% sure).

I only notice the issue while gaming, and sometimes during my work calls using zoom where it would hang/freeze for like half a second which I'm not bothered about, don't really notice it while watching videos or browsing normally.

Hi @6XWJo388n6,

Thank you for the update. Are you noticing any other pattern to the lags and freezing? For example, is it only happening at certain times during the day, or when you're using a specific device?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi, sorry I was busy with work so didn't have much time to game.
it's happening on a couple of devices, I don't use the others for gaming or video calls so haven't noticed and I'm not sure if it's happening at specific times, I usually play after 9PM but have calls at random times.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @6XWJo388n6,

Thank you for the update, can you please tell me if you have noticed any improvements since Friday?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide