cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi/Ethernet constant disconnect and high ping/packet loss

6XWJo388n6
Joining in

Hi,
I recently got virgin media at my property and I've been getting constant high latency and packet loss, and my WiFi/Ethernet seems to disconnecting randomly for a few seconds, which happens on all the devices but not at the same time. I tried using the Ethernet cable which still has the same issue.

When the disconnect happens, the windows network icon shows the little globe, so it's not completely disconnecting and it says something about DNS not being configured properly.

I have reset the router multiple times with the pin-hole reset, I also disabled channel optimization under Smart WiFi, tried splitting the WiFi into 5GHz and 2.4GHz  under Advanced Settings->Wireless Security however the issue still persists.

I have attached the network status logs below and my BQM is here

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/85fd73fd3303b3e36855e0950e8e8b8fa668ddbe

It mostly happens when I'm gaming and you can see the packet loss spike on the graph when I was playing Warzone. I only 2-3 matches to make sure it's not the server and it still persisting.

33 REPLIES 33

Still the same, the ping isn't always high. it happens randomly but I managed to run a speed-test when I was experiencing high latency tonight. attached the screenshot below

SpeedTest.PNG

Hi 6XWJo388n6,

Thanks for coming back to us. Sorry to see that you're still experiencing the odd issues every so often, upon checking the account this morning and doing remote test from our end, we cannot locate any issues that could be causing this?

We have performed a speed test remotely from our end which is fine, there are no power level issues or area faults that are affecting you either.

As its been a short while since you last posted, how have things been over the weekend?

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi,

Is it possible for you to run a test again? I seem to be disconnecting more frequently now for some reason.

HI 6XWJo388n6

It's all looking good here 

Can you reboot the hu please then set up a Fresh BQM please 

Wait 24 hours and post the results on here 

Gareth_L

Hi,
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/e25abcbb300b3a4210d58524994544cffb...

sorry it took a while, just got around to doing it yesterday.

Thanks

Hi @6XWJo388n6,

Thanks for doing that and apologies for the delayed response here.

I've just taken a look at the BQM you provided and though it seems like there may have been some issues yesterday I can't see anything notable with the connection today. Is this issue currently ongoing for you?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi,
I didn't experience it yesterday but today I had 2 disconnects, once on my phone and the other time it was my PC. as usual, it's always a single device that gets disconnected at random but it happens on my brothers laptop, my desktop PC, and my phone, maybe it happens on other devices but since they aren't used as much, it goes unnoticed.

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @6XWJo388n6

Sorry to hear this issue is still ongoing for you. Having looked on our systems again today, your speeds are looking good averaging at 110 download, and 10 upload over the last week. There are 2 disconnections showing, but neither are from the date you experienced them, one is from Sunday 9th and one from Saturday 8th. 

There are also no downstream or upstream signal level issues showing that should be causing you problems. 

The devices that are having disconnection issues, are they all connected via wifi? 

All the best. 

Molly

My brother's laptop is connect through wifi and so are the phones but my desktop PC is connected through ethernet cable. I haven't noticed any high latency or packet loss when gaming so the main concern is the disconnects, I've had it happen in the middle of the night when no one else is using the internet and we're both working from home so it's quite annoying when we get disconnected during a call or when using team viewer.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi 6XWJo388n6,

Thanks for your responses and welcome back to the community page!

From checking your account I can't find any details that would directly impact your service.

Your hub uptime is 10+ days, would you be able to perform a reboot and allow to stand for 1 minute?

Let us know what the figures are like after.

Thanks,

Kain