Menu
desmayer
Hanging out
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Drop Out

I have been having an ongoing issue where the Wifi will drop out and my devices will connect to my powerline device instead.

When I go back into the wifi list on any device, my Super Hub 3 wifi name is not there (2,4 or 5ghz ones).  I can tell it is going to happen when I am remote playing my Xbox as the stream pauses and disconnects.  Shortly after that, if the TV is playing Netflix or Prime, that too will stop.  The Super Hub is right next to the TV (wifi as all other ports are being used).

It is becoming a joke now.  I have to restart my Super Hub nearly every day just to have a consistent wifi connection.  If I do not do this, when I remote connect to my Xbox via my tablet, I keep getting a message saying Network Issues, causing a bad performance.  This is when I know I have to reboot the Super hub.

I have the Connect app but I feel that is giving fake results because before running it on my iPhone (for example), the wifi symbol is half full, but as soon as I run the test, it "fills" up.  

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Drop Out

Do wired connections also drop? 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If the TV is next to the Hub connect it by ethernet cable it will be far more stable.

Do devices connected on ethernet cables also drop out at the same time as wifi connected ones?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
desmayer
Hanging out
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

They could do.  I do recall seeing the message "ethernet disconnected" on my PS4 in the past.  I cannot connect my TV to the hub direct as I do not have a spare port for it.

My concern is that I have had the Wifi drop out on my laptop whilst working.  Luckily it has not happened during a meeting yet.

0 Kudos
desmayer
Hanging out
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

They could do.  I do recall seeing the message "ethernet disconnected" on my PS4 in the past.  I cannot connect my TV to the hub direct as I do not have a spare port for it.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

For more ports just get an Unmanaged Gigabit ports ethernet "Switch" 5-8 port ones are ~£15 at the usual places and plug that into one of the Hub ports and everything else into the switch

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
desmayer
Hanging out
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ok... thanks, but that will not solve my issue with the Wifi dropping out on devices that are no where near the hub.

0 Kudos
desmayer
Hanging out
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ok... thanks, but that will not solve my issue with the Wifi dropping out on devices that are no where near the hub.

And it has just taken longer to post this as the wifi dropped out again....

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Top tip - dont post the same reply twice (ie to all responders) 🙂

We are trying to ascertain whether your issue is wifi alone or a VM network connection one. If ethernet connections remain stable throughout then it means that you just have a wifi issue which will be easily sorted out by getting your own better quality wireless equipment. If its dropping on ethernet that's a different issue

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
desmayer
Hanging out
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The double post was caused by my WIFI dropping out and my laptop trying to reconnect and there is no way to delete a comment.

I am sure VM connection into the house is fine as I have issues when I am remote connecting to my Xbox or PS4 within the same network.  If my Super Hub is no good, surely Virgin should replace it and not expect their customers to buy extra equipment?

0 Kudos