Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Changed

Hi

I have had a Hub 3 and for years have always kept my SSID names for 2.4GHz and 5Ghz appended with either 50 or 24 to help identify either network.

Suddenly I find that both of my networks have the same name, eg both had '24' appended to the name.

Can someone let me know how this can happen?  No one has access to my router from my side of the network except me, and I hadn't logged in for months until I found this problem.

I only investigated because all my devices that were on the 5Ghz stopped working.

Has this happened to anyone else?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Changed

One of the hubs many anomalies.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes it's one of the reasons you should use your own WiFi router and abandon the vm effort. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Z92, I didn't know this was a 'thing'.  I've been with VM since they before they took over from NTL and haven't heard of this symptom before.  I'm just wondering what set of circumstances could make the system automatically change the SSID to something that is known to me and my setup, rather than just changing the name to a random or default setting?

I thought someone from virgin media might have logged in to my system and made some changes with asking me, or maybe I had been hacked.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

May have been caused by a hub firmware update. You could try doing a 30 second pin hole reset of the hub and then set up the SSID names again. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It sometimes turns off the WAN ping ability as well, a reboot fixes the issue though. I suspect the software is corrupting something inside and that why reboots and resets work so well. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - the SSID was changed back and seems to be working fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The reboots didn't fix the problem, I had to manually go in an change the setting back.

0 Kudos