Menu
JaeB
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Cameras

Pulling hair out, hope someone can help because between my camera company, Virgin Media, Virgin Gadget Rescue, no one has helped.

After 2 years of running my wifi security cameras, they started to loose connection periodically a few months ago. It then got to a point where it was saying all of a sudden, password incorrect when it isn’t. I got them working for about a week, but 2 days ago they stopped connecting. I can get them to now accept the password they connect, but almost immediately will say connection error and will state in the SmartFrog app the cameras are offline. 

Contacted Virgin Media: Not interested as an internet service is being provided and can see no problems....thanks!

Contacted Virgin Gadget Rescue, which who Virgin will send you too if you are having 3rd party issues. Keep in mind this is a paying service.After an hour of having remote access to my hub and changing settings here and there, he could not get the cameras to work. 

Contacted camera company SmartFrog, all trouble shoots completed still no connection.

Yes I am using the password correctly 

Yes I am using 2.4ghz to connect them

Yea I have my 5ghz and 2.4 ghz split 

Yes I have tried connecting them with 5ghz completely disabled 

Yes I have reset hub

Yes I have reset cameras numerous times 

The cameras are not at fault because they connect fine at a different property ,on a different hub ,on a different network provider 

The issue is defiantly the hub but can’t figure it out. I have had these issues since the new firmware , I had an email February stating because I am a long standing customer my hub was updated to the new faster, more reliable WiFi. I do remember having to reboot my hub because of this as I had terrible speeds, the reboot fixed that. 

Can anyone offer some help? 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Cameras

Assuming you're 100% confident it is the wifi connection between hub and devices, then I can offer some advice, but it may not be the answer you want. 

All VM hubs are pretty cheapo affairs, and rather than persevering trying to make your Hub 3 perform tricks it probably wasn't designed for, why not put it in modem mode and connect a decent wifi mesh system?  £130, problem solved.  I'd recommend a TP-Link Deco M4 or S4 setup but there's plenty of choice in the market if you favour any particular make.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
JaeB
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Actually I forgot to say I already have a Mesh system Deco M5s. I have 3 Decos around the house. Still have the same problem when the Hub is in Modem mode. I have a guest WiFi which is set on only to 2.4ghz for devices such as my cameras. my blink and ring camera are connecting fine.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@JaeB wrote:

Actually I forgot to say I already have a Mesh system Deco M5s. I have 3 Decos around the house. Still have the same problem when the Hub is in Modem mode. I have a guest WiFi which is set on only to 2.4ghz for devices such as my cameras. my blink and ring camera are connecting fine.

Then it’s not a hub or connection issue. It’s more likely an issue with the cheapo Chinese Wifi cameras. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
JaeB
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

And that was my first assumption, however being as the cameras worked at the 3 other properties I tried them at last night I don’t think it is the cameras 

0 Kudos