Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Boosters

Hello

Does the WiFi booster create a separate network?

i want to extend my Hub 3 WiFi range to connect a WiFi CCTV camera. Would the camera end up on an extender network or would it be on my Hub3 network. 

I want to use a phone app to view the pictures and need the phone to be on the Hub3 network. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: WiFi Boosters

Hi 

Wifi camera usually connect to the network closest to it, so in theory to would connect to the extender if that is close by, as your phone will be on the same network you will be able to see it.

However if you let people know what wifi camera you have, you may get better answers. I have ring camera and have wireless access points (similar to the extenders) and it all works fine.

Sometimes the issues is not with the wifi but the wifi chip in the camera which are not good.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for replying to my question, I found that during the setup procedure for the Boosters there is a step, using the WPS feature, to make the WiFi Boosters take the same network name and password as the hub. (Before employing that step, the boosters have their own name and password).

This meant the camera connected to the booster network signal, and I am able to view its picture while connected to the Hub 3 signal.

Works a treat.

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for popping back with the update & sharing your experience Poor_Dog - I'm sure others will find this helpful in future as well 👍

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Now I know it works, is it possible to add an additional remote WiFi Booster to the setup? i.e. have the one wired booster plugged into a power socket and connected to the router via Ethernet, and then have TWO remote WiFi boosters plugged in elsewhere?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

As far as I'm aware that would work fine. The booster guide on our website and all the information at our end indicates this can be done, and doesn't suggest there's a limit to the amount of WiFi boosters you can add to the setup. https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-booster-troubleshooting.

Tom

0 Kudos