Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Blackspot - How Do I Order a Booster?

Hi all,

I have a wifi blackspot in my home. I used the Connect App as suggested on the VM site to scan room for room as this seems to be only way to order a wifi booster (presumably, when it identifies a wifi blackspot). 

At first, this seemed to work.  I scanned the problem area and the app rebooted my broadband.  When I then scanned the room affected it seemed better.  However, no sooner had I closed the app and was in the room when the signal dropped out again.  Tried to scan again to see if I could get the booster ordered and it wouldn't even scan as 'I wasn't connected to wifi'!  Eventually, when it allowed the app to connect, it scanned and informed me that the signal was 'Great' - when it clearly isn't as I had been unable to connect it when stood in that same room.

This happens several times a day and, when the app eventually connects to the wifi, it says that the signal is great.  I am at the stage where my phone is using 4G as it is a stronger signal than my wifi - which isn't really ideal.

Anyone have any suggestions how I can get a booster ordered from Virgin or, failing this, which commercially available boosters are best to use with VM?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: WiFi Blackspot - How Do I Order a Booster?

Order a better router or a mesh system from Amazon and the like.

Or run some Ethernet cables and install and access point or two. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Blackspot - How Do I Order a Booster?

Be aware that new boosters are now currently only supplied free if you have the Hub4. if so they are worth trying. If not, they will add a £3/mo charge and they aren't. The maths say you would be far better putting those monies towards sourcing your own better quality, wireless equipment with the Hub in modem mode as Gary suggests.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos