cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi 5GHz keeps changing SSID to match 2.4

GlasgowJambo
Just browsing

Hi all, new to these forums, so please let me know if I have posted this in the wrong place.

The issue:

I have a Virgin Hub4 

I have split my 2.4GHz and my 5GHz channels and given the SSID's different names to tell them apart. I have turned off the optimization mode as I seen on previous posts that people had to do that in the past. 

After a couple of days, the 5GHz SSID changes it's name to match the 2.4GHz one. Everything that was on the 5GHz channel then loses access to the Wi-Fi (as the 5GHz SSID does not exist anymore). I sign into the Hub to change the 5GHz one back to what it was, but it only lasts for about 2 minutes or so until it changes to the 2.4GHz one again. It only sticks for a couple of days if I change both SSID's.

I have changed the SSID's for both channels a few times now over the past 2 weeks and as you can imagine, it's getting frustrating having to re-connect all the Wi-Fi devices to either channel.

Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2

Client62
Hero

This battle against VM WiFi policy can not be won with the Hub 4 in Router mode.

The fix is to add a 3rd Party router and use the Hub 4 in modem mode with its WiFi totally disabled.

Thanks for the response!

A little crazy that it had worked for about 11 months with no issues, then one day 2 weeks ago it just stopped working. Called the Virgin Media support team and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

My contract with VM ends in June, so will probably just move everything onto the 2.4GHz for now and persist.