Menu
q33ny
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Wi-fi down when in meetings

Hi,

I need help with my hub 3 as working from home has become a nightmare. I don't know what to do anymore, every time I'm in a live video meeting (Teams) my wi-fi drops for almost a minute. Literally you can't see the wi-fi SSID or sometimes the signal out of nowhere goes from full strenght to 1 bar. This is at various times of the day and there is no pattern. I've try rebooting the hub, factory reset and move the location but no success. The LAN is OK, only the Wi-Fi is playing up.

When using the check service form VM, online or on the app (on my phone using 4G) it comes us with everyting is OK so no help there.

Any help is welcomed.

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi-fi down when in meetings

2.4GHz or 5GHz band ??

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
q33ny
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

• I mist admit I didn't check it but I think it is on 5GHz.
0 Kudos
q33ny
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just checked and most of devices are on 5GHz

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Can you connect on ethernet cable for the duration of the teams meetings? Long runs of Cat5e/6 cable are cheap and you can just plut it in to the Hub and your device and trail the cable over carpet upstairs etc. When the meeting is done, just rollit up and put it in a cupboard till next time.

If that works ok - look into running the cable permanently or improving you wifi with your own better quality equipment

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
q33ny
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Thx for the suggestion but that won't be possible. Both my wife and I are working from home with many and long meetings. The hub has 4 ports with 3 already in used so no more ports available and one of the rooms we use it on 1st floor just above the hub, getting a cable there is not an option as we rent....

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@q33ny wrote:

Hi John,

Thx for the suggestion but that won't be possible. Both my wife and I are working from home with many and long meetings. The hub has 4 ports with 3 already in used so no more ports available and one of the rooms we use it on 1st floor just above the hub, getting a cable there is not an option as we rent....

You may want to create a BQM and post the live link. You could be in a congested area, like many posters on this forum.

-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

4 ports is not a problem - a 4 way switch will add 4 more 

as to poor wifi - you have to suffer that with VM hubs - they work but are nothing great - if you cannot use wired connections then you need to look at improving the wifi - solutions are many - a 3rd party router - a mesh system being just 2 - the down side is they all have to be bought by you

Tony
q33ny
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Can you help with the BQM?

Any recommendations for wi-fi router?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Click carl's link to BQM and follow the instructions.

What size property is it, what contruction is it (e.g. brick, stone, plasterboard walls) and what budget do you have in mind

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos