Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wi fi Extender

I apologise if this has been posted/answered but I rarely understand the questions and mostly don't understand the answers but 

I have a Virgin Hub 3.0 in the middle of a house (I have 1 floor above and 2 below). Wi Fi signal is patchy and slow but into the Hub it's good.

I have been told that BT wi-fi extenders (black and round) that plug into the ring main would do the trick.  Anyone has a view please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi fi Extender

This suggests they will work.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/BT-Wi-fi-Boosters/td-p/4076776

Do you have them already or are you starting from scratch - if so someone may be able to offer other options.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you - I have not bought them yet.  (the only ones I have ever owned were dLan and they were both difficult to connect and not good).  This will be a new purchase for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ok.... have you tried the VM Connect App? That should allow you to identify any wifi blackspots? If it detects them it will offer you the option of ordering VM boosters - these may or may not be free depending on your package.

I would still get my own equipment though.

But first do a bit of research on how to improve the wifi signal from the Hub itself - start at the 2 "pink" shaded posts at the top of this board and also any advice from "griffin" posted on threads in here will be good in that regard.

Then... also research Wifi routers, wireless access points and Mesh systems to get a good idea of the differences and what would suit you best if you cant improve the Hubs wifi. Check at
techadvisor.co.uk
techradar.co.uk
expertreviews.co.uk
to find best or recommended systems and details of how they work

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for the pointers (I think I said in my original question I know every little about what I'm asking or doing - at least this points me in the right direction)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey, 

This is a reply to anyone searching on how to connect an alternative NON-virgin router extension (e.g. a BT one). 

I was looking for ages and this answer helped on my 2 hour journey of trying to set my router extension. 

Just follow this link to connect your router extension, I found these steps worked for me so i thought I'd save someone else 2 hours of searching and post it here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-wps-settings#hub3

Hope this works for others too. 

Thank you to the previous people who pointed me into the right direction. 🙂 

0 Kudos