cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi to garden room

Pagie1980
Tuning in

Good morning. Wondering if anyone can help me I’m awful with tech and diy. I’m currently having a garden room built. My builder is running a cat 6 cable from my router to the room. What do I need in the garden room to get Wi-Fi. If it like another router or something. Like what does the cable actually go in to ?

Cheers

Ste

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

roodles
On our wavelength

You'll need to get a wireless access point.

The easiest way would be to set it up with a separate SSID, e.g. garden wifi.

The only thing you'll need to look out for is that the access point has DHCP disabled, or it won't work.

If this is just for wifi in the room and you don't need extra ethernet ports, something simple like a TPlink accesspoint will do the job. £20 odd should do it.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin media gig1

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

roodles
On our wavelength

You'll need to get a wireless access point.

The easiest way would be to set it up with a separate SSID, e.g. garden wifi.

The only thing you'll need to look out for is that the access point has DHCP disabled, or it won't work.

If this is just for wifi in the room and you don't need extra ethernet ports, something simple like a TPlink accesspoint will do the job. £20 odd should do it.

Pagie1980
Tuning in

Thanks I’ll take a look. Any ideas how I set up a seperate ssid 

roodles
On our wavelength

Have a search for, as an example, TP-Link RE205 AC750 (I use this for the same job).

The cat6 cable will go into the bottom of the unit. You'll plug it in the wall.

You'll then need to turn it to AP mode and reboot it.

The default settings are probably going to be ok for you.

YouTube is great for finding visual tutorials for this kind of thing.

Perfect thanks I’ll take a look 

Pagie1980
Tuning in

Me again. So the cat 6 cable is in. I’m guessing this wires into the access point. Then is it possible to run another vmcaboe from the access point to the tv so that is permanently wired rather than using Wi-Fi ? If so anyone recommend an access point. Does it mean it will need two Ethernet ports.