cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi speed

bakhshi84
On our wavelength

So, this might be a bit longwinded.

I have a Hub 5 on a 1 Gig package. 1 Gig is coming into the router but on wi-fi I am getting at the most 450 Mbps in the same room. Upstairs I struggle to get 50 Mbps.

I have 3 pods, if I connect 1 of the pods to the 2.5 Gig port at the back of the router and the other 2 upstairs in my house (1 directly above the hub and the other in my office) then I can get approx 200 Mbps upstairs, this seems to be the only way this works.

I decided to get a router and put the hub 5 into modem mode. I got an Asus TUF 4200 which is seriously good router. I put the hub 5 into router mode and powered up the Asus. The most I could get in the same room was 300 Mbps and upstairs wi-fi was virtually non-existent (under 10 Mbps). This didn't seem right to me so I contacted Asus who took me through some settings etc and then concluded the router must be faulty.

I put the hub 5 back into router mode but the maximum I could get in the same room was about 60 Mbps on wi-fi, ethernet is the full 1 Gig.m This leads me to believe there is something wrong with the wi-fi in general, rather than the Asus router. Could it be a setting I have missed?

Any help would be appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try setting the Asus up again following this procedure - sequence is important.

To correctly set it up see Tudor’s message 2 in here….
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub3-in-Modem-mode/td-p/5206738

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John.

I think I followed that or thereabouts. Surely being out of sequence can't mean the wi-fi speed is slow? Does it imply that if you don't go step by step then the hub 5 isn't actually in router mode?

Also, do you not use the 2.5Gig port on the hub 5?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes use the 2.5 port 😎

If the connection is solid then yes - something else is the weak link.  What devices are you using?

If computer/laptop boot it into safe+networking mode, to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.
There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, anti-virus, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.
Report back what that gets. For examples of why... see message 7 in the first thread and 9 in in the second and 3 in the third
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/HUB-5-and-IGB-wifi/td-p/5088163

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Slow-Ethernet-Speed/m-p/5060946#M484321
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Upgrade-from-M600-to-Gig1-no-speed-change-with-Hub-4/td-p...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hey, putting the hub 5 back into router mode i am getting 600Mbps on my phone in the same room. I used my phone as the control, i.e. nothing changed, so I can't think it is software that is doing it.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Has your Asus got QoS activated on it?

--------------------
John
--------------------

No, I made sure it was off.

I have sent it back and will order a new one, a different model. Hopefully it was just a dodgy router.

Ok so I changed to the Deco system thinking it is my extension causing the problems (thick walls). I have the X75 pro. Again, in the same room as the main deco (the router) I get maximum 600Mbps. The overall average speed throughout my house has improved, but I just don't understand why my wi-fi is slower when the hub 5 is in modem mode

Hey bakhshi84, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this.

I can see you've had a recent visit out how has it been since this any improvement at all? Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?