cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi not working properly

DebB
On our wavelength

Last few weeks our Wi-Fi has started acting up, last night it stopped working lol together & even rebooting didn’t bring it back, the hub 4 diagnostics said there was a Wi-Fi problem, another reboot this morning & I tried switching the Wi-Fi optimisation off & on again it’s working but the Virgin mobile scanning app throws an error when checking the speed & even sitting next to it shows a very weak signal. 
We also have a Wi-Fi pod and that has been intermittent for a while now. 
had the same Wi-Fi for a while, never a problem even in the attic bedroom, we haven’t added any devices it just suddenly started being very unreliable. 
Any advice? We rebooted the hub a lot now. 

in the network log I see a few daily repeating events, 

Time Priority Description

Tue 20/06/2023
09:32:16
6CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 33; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 3.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

& a random event even with the date of 1970!

Thu 01/01/1970
00:01:22
3No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Thu 01/01/1970
00:01:22
3Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

5 REPLIES 5

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try a 60 second factory pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible. NOTE this will remove any custom settings you may have set in the Hub, and they will all have to be setup again.

The Pods and Hub should be placed close together afterwards to "pair up".  Also the Pods are designed to be placed halfway between the blackspots and the Hub.  If they are too far apart, they cannot connect and the wifi will fail.

As for the 1970 date, that is correct.  When the Hub is rebooted it will not know what the time is, so it will revert to to standard UNIX epoch date of 01/01/1970.  Once it is online it will get the correct date and time from an NTP server.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

DebB
On our wavelength

Thanks Adduxi, yea I wondered about a reset, just strange it should suddenly go after having no problems , can I restore the settings from the backup afterwards? I have Mac filters for devices on the 2.4 lan.

DebB
On our wavelength

I reset the router & tested at factory settings, the Wi-Fi pod would not connect no matter what I tried, even right next to the hub I looked up the instructions & it doesn’t say to put it near the hub. But the Wi-Fi did extend to the attic as per normal , so I restored my original settings and all seemed fine until I plugged the Wi-Fi pod back in, it took ages to get it working with the Wi-Fi flipping off & on for over an hour, now it’s back to square one, wifi isn’t working well at all & no coverage upstairs. I’m wondering if the pod is the only thing devices are connecting to Wi-Fi, turning the pod off, nothing connects . I suspect the Pod or the Hub is not working properly.

Hi @DebB

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community. 

Sorry to hear of any issues with the Pod.

There are a few requirements for the Pods to work with our Hubs. You can view these below:

The Hub must be in 'Router Mode' and not have been changed to 'Modem Mode'
Channel Optimisation must be left on
The SSIDs must be the same and broadcast enabled
The SSID must be password protected
The Passphrases of the SSIDs must match

As long as all of the above points are all met then the Pod should automatically connect to your Hub's WiFi and begin broadcasting. The wireless details from the Pod will be the same as the Hub's details, so no additional steps are required to connect the devices in the home. This link will help though if you do have any issues > https://www.virginmedia.com/help/setup/intelligentwifipod

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You may find the wifi is too weak in the attic to maintain a connection to the Pod.  The Pods use wifi to connect to the Hub and each other, so they need a reasonable wifi strength to work. That's why they should not be placed in a wifi blackspot.  You may need another Pod to bridge the gaps between the "hops" to the Pods.

Personally I use PoE wifi access points on my ceilings, as least these don't need wifi to talk back to the router, as they use ethernet cables.  They are similar to what you would find in commercial installatons, e.g. Airports, Hotels etc.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks