cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi keeps dropping

Kalm71
Joining in

Wi-Fi keeps dropping for seconds or minutes. Makes streaming a nightmare. Really irritating when trying to watch TV. In the last 30 mins connection has been lost 4 times.

Had a new HUB 3 router and 2 engineer visits. The last engineer  said the signal was not in range and fitted an attenuator to the router. Solved the problem for a few days and it has stated dropping again. Please advise how to resolve this. I’ve had Virgin broadband for years but in the last year it has been really unreliable. 

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
First thing to check is... are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check that - to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Kalm71 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here.

I am so sorry that you have faced this issue with your services and a big thank you to jbrennand for their help on this so far. 

I have checked and I cannot see any issues on our side that could be causing this, could you confirm for me if this happening across any wired connections as well as WiFi? 

Can’t believe I haven’t logged in since this point to reply. Just complained to Virgin again and they told me to reset my router and that I’ve not reset it in 11 days! An engineer came last time and resolved the signal quality by using some form of attenuation. Also provided pods. 
The last month or so everything is dropping again. We have nothing connected to the router that is wired. WiFI latency is somewhere between 10,000 and 25000. Measured on iPhone.  Netflix freezes. Can’t stream consistently on PS5 it says signal quality is poor. 
Will start recording logs now as the quality is so variable. Any advice on how to get latency below 100 please ?

Hi Kalm71 👋

Thanks for posting, and welcome back to the Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you're continuing to experience issues with your service. I've taken a look at things on our side and there is no indication that there is an issue with the Hub itself, or over a cabled connection - this appears to be primarily on the WiFi. There are various factors that can affect Wi-Fi, such as wall thickness, signal interference and the network technology in your devices. 

Have you tried to use our Connect App to run a scan in your home? It allows you to scan your home for WiFi blackspots and provides tailored advice and guidance to you based on the results of the scan. You can find the app, here.

Please let us know how things go after running this check.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ