Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Wi-Fi keeps dropping out

Hi our Wi-Fi keeps cutting out, I need to reset tv boxes and hub at least 4 or 5 times a day very annoying, I spent an hour an half on the phone to birthing on Saturday who told me to do a pin hole reset on hub and it’s made no difference it’s still cutting out, they said I would need a new hub sent if it doesn’t work but I don’t want to wait another hour to get through to them to organise it can someone help?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi-Fi keeps dropping out

Just wifi?
Are wired devices dropping as well?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Just Wi-Fi I have 2 v5 boxes and a TiVo box only the TiVo box is connected with Ethernet 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, fish tanks, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwaves ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Does the TiVo box drop connection?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

No that’s always ok

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Everyone’s mobile devices, iPad, hive etc on Wi-Fi drops out it’s not been connected since I came home today

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

You could try factory resetting the hub in the first instance.

But if it’s just WiFi then you’ll need to look at investing in some better equipment like a mesh system or router.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I am paying virgin for equipment so why should I invest in more??

they are in breach of my contract and I am paying for a service that’s not working

they need to fix it!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@michellemxx wrote:

I am paying virgin for equipment so why should I invest in more??

they are in breach of my contract and I am paying for a service that’s not working

they need to fix it!!

No.
WiFi is neither what you pay for nor part of your contract.

Have you tried the factory reset as suggested?

0 Kudos