Menu
Sandman3
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting; showing DNS errors

Hi,

My Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting intermittently throughout the day. Despite it showing as connected on the network icon, any attempts to access a webpage will be met with the DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET error message. Manually disconencting and reconnecting fixes it, until it inevitably disconnects again.

Strangely, it is only my laptop that is affected: none of our other devices have any problems at all. Not only that, but it only exhibits the problem for this network and works perfectly fine on others.

I have tried rebooting my computer; rebooting our Super-Hub; running the usual 'netsh winsock reset', 'netsh int ip reset'; flushing the DNS cache and doing ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew. None of these fixes worked permanently.

Sandman3_0-1611171018690.pngSandman3_1-1611171112863.png

Here are the upstream and downstream stats from 192.168.0.1

Any advice or next steps would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting; showing DNS errors

when you have this issue it's worth trying a different browser to see if it has the same issue.. i.e. is it an issue with just chrome, or is there some sort of issue with the IP stack on your laptop.. 

It seems like something on the device itself, given that all of your other devices continue to work, but it's worth testing to see whether it's only chrome that's affected or whether it's all apps on your laptop.

0 Kudos
Sandman3
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the response.

Once it disconnected on Chrome, I also tried it on Firefox and Microsoft Edge and couldn't access anything on either of those. Incognito mode didn't change anything either, if that helps.

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ok, so that rules out an issue with just chrome.. 

do you have custom DNS servers configured, or do you just take whatever the hub gives you via dhcp? 

if the latter, configure custom ones (you could use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) in your wifi connection and see if the problem persists

0 Kudos
Sandman3
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that in the things I'd tried already. I tried using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as well as 208.67.222.222 and 208.78.220.220. Neither fixed the problem, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ok, check that the driver for your WiFi adapter is up to date - not just via device manager but at the manufacturers website. 

0 Kudos
Sandman3
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I checked both device manager and the Lenovo website, both said my wi-fi drivers were up to date. Just in case, I downloaded the recommended ones manually from the Lenovo website and installed that. It hasn't made a difference and I still keep getting disconnected.

0 Kudos
yogeshk31
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, just read your post. I am facing the exact same issue of "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET" as you mentioned and that too on 1 laptop, rest other devices working just fine. Did you manage to have this fixed? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Sandman3
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately no solutions have worked yet.

0 Kudos
yogeshk31
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I tried a hard reset of the router eventually today and so far things have been good. Touch wood!

0 Kudos