Menu
billandlaura
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wi-Fi drops repeatedly

Hello,

I'm experiencing multiple Wi-Fi drops each day with our Hub 3.0. The Hub itself is in a well ventilated area in the middle of the house and despite this is burning hot. It is 14 months old. There are three Ethernet connected devices which are not affected when the Wi-Fi drops so I have ruled out an issue with the fibre optic line. I've rebooted it a few times and even given it time to cool down.

We have a number of devices connected, mainly the doorbell and our work laptops along with our iPhones. We are a two person household.

When the Wi-Fi drops, all devices drop. The network SSID disappears for 30-40 seconds and then devices reconnect but have no Internet. Internet is restored 20 seconds later.

This behaviour continues throughout the day on a regular frequency. For video calls this is catastrophic as we lose Internet. I use Remote Desktop and this is also fatally impacted.

I'm pretty sure the Hub 3.0 is either faulty or needs someone from Virgin Media to look at it.

Posting here because the Virgin Media support replies on Twitter and Facebook are embarrassing to the point of frustration and the customer service number appears to be rigged against a caller managing to get into a hold queue to speak to someone. There just doesn't seem to be a way to speak to a human.

How do I get to speak to someone at Virgin Media to discuss this? I work for a software company managing SCCM/MECM so I have a working knowledge of DHCP/DNS and network traffic filtering/routing for any further questions that may help me get sorted!

Thanks,
William

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi-Fi drops repeatedly

i am somewhat confused - you say you have wired connection and they do not drop - you then say all connections drop or is it just wifi - losing the ssid is odd and may point to the hub being faulty but if wired connections stay connected that makes little sense

post some info

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

and confirm wired connections do not drop - if its purely a wifi problem you have choices - you can push for a replacement hub to see if that solves it - quick way is to ring and say hub is faulty - keep it simple as tests are likely to show them its ok - turning it off will suggest its faulty

if a replacement sorts it then all is good if not then look at other solutions - a 3rd party router or mesh system

Tony
0 Kudos
billandlaura
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony,

Apologies, a slight miscommunication. Ethernet devices are completely unaffected. When the Wi-Fi drops, all Wi-Fi devices drop; it's not just a laptop or an iPhone but everything connected to Wi-Fi. It is akin to the Wi-Fi part of the Hub being temporarily paralysed on a regular basis and then restarting itself.

How do I call the 0345 454 1111 and speak to a human? The quick way you mentioned is the hard part; I'm lost in a maze of automated roadblocks to get to a hold queue. The call tree that gets you to technical support does not have an option for this kind of enquiry and all the broadband one does is cut out my Internet during a line test.

Thanks,
William.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

start with this - it will get you to a human - they may take it on board or transfer you - its a lottery at the moment especially with wait time - 8 in the morning is usually good but some get through quickly at other times of day

or wait here for VM they will get to the thread but it can take a few days to a week 

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us'  - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

Tony
0 Kudos
billandlaura
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony,

You're a champion. Called Virgin Media and pretended I was leaving until I got through to someone. They ran a number of tests and confirmed my Hub 3.0 was faulty from multiple results and it needed replacing immediately. A replacement is due Thursday.

I am disappointed that I have to pretend to leave to eventually speak to someone but I guess hiding from customers is the Virgin Media way.

Cheers,
William.

0 Kudos