Menu
Martinkemp
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wi-Fi dropping Constantly

• Got connected to Virgin Media broadband yesterday. Have been round our house and the signal is strong in every room. 

however, the Wi-Fi drops constantly. My daughter has complained of her laptop buffering many times today. 

I have checked the connections and rebooted the router but still buffering or, on my phone, Wi-Fi stops working all the time. 

is there a fix for this?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi-Fi dropping Constantly

Does a wired connection also drop?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Martinkemp
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I don’t have any wired  connections. 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Martinkemp wrote:

I don’t have any wired  connections. 

The reason for asking is that VM don't guarantee wifi performance.. and we want to know if a wired connection is stable/good at times when the wifi isn't working as well as you would like..

If everything is good when connected by an ethernet cable, then you have options to improve Wifi.

If it isn't, then you may need to get the underlying connection fixed by VM, and the wifi might improve thereafter.

Worth noting that if it is just a wifi problem, then VM have recently launched their wifi pods, which are available for free to subscribers of the gig package or ultimate oomph. if that's you, then you can call up and request one be sent.  If it's not, then you may want to consider investing in your own better wifi equipment.  This forum is littered with complaints about the quality of wifi from the hub - you can either accept it early and do something about it, or you can live with poor wifi 🙂 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can't see the pods helping just get a better wireless router with 1Gb ports and put the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

None at all?

Difficult to ascertain the issue then.

do all devices drop at the same time?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Martinkemp
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it seems to come in waves. Reckon it happened up to 15 times yesterday. 

For example, I will happily be using Facebook on my phone one minute and then i open the app a couple of minutes later and it's not loading. If I immediately go to my wifi speed test app, it can not find the server to connect to, 30 seconds later everything if fine again.

I have done a factory reset on my router and checked all the wires are connected properly and finger tight.

NOt sure what else to do as when I call Virgin it does an automatic test and just tells me to reset the router...... which doesn't work.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Do all devices drop at the same time?

0 Kudos
Martinkemp
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes, they do seem to drop at the same time.

When it has happened last night and the speed test app did connect to a server, I noticed it only measure about 10mbps or less. A couple of minutes later I'm back up to 80-100 mbps.

It's like the connection in going in waves.

0 Kudos