Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wi-Fi adapter.

Hi there,

We are brand new to Virgin a couple of hours ago, and internet has been installed but realised my PC doesn't have a wi-fi adapter. Can anyone recommend a decent one which I can use to be able to connect via Wi-Fi? I assume I will be able to connect once I have sorted an adapter out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi-Fi adapter.

You have a few option, you can buy a wifi dongle (make sure its wireless AC1200 or better)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-T3U-Wireless-Supports-10-9-10-13/dp/B07LGMD97Z/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=w...

You can get a powerline kit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-PH5-Powerline-Extender-Streaming/dp/B078JJ8K4Y/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywor...

(You can get this for free from virgin if your on maxit tv package)

or a long ethernet cable

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Does the type of ethernet cable matter? As long as it connects from A to B it will work fine?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Make sure it is Cat6.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

In my experience wireless network adaptors are commodity items and I'd recommend going with the cheapest from a reputable make like Asus or TP-Link, one that supports 5 GHz and 802.11ac, offers around 1,000 Mbps (even if you're only on a 100 or 200 Mbps connection now).  Make sure it fits your PC - assuming a modern desktop its most likely to need a PCI express card - something like the TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 Dual Band Wireless PCI Express Adapter, which is about thirty quid.

You can get cards for a tenner or less - mostly they'll use either the inferior 2.4 Ghz band, and/or be limited in throughput, so choose carefully.  One other thought depending on your arrangements, and that is TP-Link and others offer compact USB wireless dongles (eg TP-Link Archer T3U AC1300) that might be worth considering if you're not comfortable with inserting a network card in your PC.

And you probably know already, but where possible it is always best to connect static devices by an ethernet cable, as wifi can be a bit temperamental.

And finally, I mention TP-Link examples simply because they're a brand I've had good experience with, equally I'd be happy with equivalents from Asus, Netgear, Linksys and some others, but as a broad rule if you don't recognise the brand name, avoid.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

With where I'm situated, I'm going to assume Ethernet Cable is the best option. I'm not sure if Argos do a decent one compatiable. If not I'll order one off Amazon and I'll receive it tomorrow. Thanks for your advice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote:

In my experience wireless network adaptors are commodity items and I'd recommend going with the cheapest from a reputable make like Asus or TP-Link, one that supports 5 GHz and 802.11ac, offers around 1,000 Mbps (even if you're only on a 100 or 200 Mbps connection now).  

What about MU-MIMO capability ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

A fair point, but if the wireless card is genuinely capable of 1 Gbps it is almost certainly a two aerial MIMO configuration (and some three aerial ones are available for those with deeper pockets).

0 Kudos