Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wi-Fi Problems!

Hi, I really hope that someone can help me! I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S6 Tablet but whenever I switch it on, my Alexa EchoShow5 loses Wi-Fi connection. Immediately I got on to Amazon and I have had the device changed 3 times thinking it was a hardware issue with their device. I have now received another EchoShow5, then switched on my Tab and the Show automatically went offline. I have contacted Samsung and they have assured me that the problem isn't with their device and have ran tests to verify this. I have rang Virgin, been passed from one adviser to another, only to be told, to switch everything on and off again! THIS IS NOT RESOLVING THE PROBLEM VIRGIN! I have an Echo Spot, Echo Dot, my Tab, a Kindle and Firestick. None of these are affected. Amazon have now suggested that maybe there is a limit to how many items that can be linked to my Internet. I never knew this! Can someone advise please? I am slowly losing my belief and patience with Virgin and really am contemplating cancelling my contract with them because they just don't seem able to help!!!! I would appreciate any advice, thankyou 

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi-Fi Problems!

You haven't mentioned which model of superhub you have.

fwiw, can I suggest you separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi by renaming the 5 GHz 'VM****' SSID by appending ' -5g ' to end of the name.

If you have a Hub 3, see first half of this video

https://youtu.be/gQYtqzxQ2YI 

You may also wish to disable 'Channel Optimisation' first, to see if it makes any difference.

Once you have created separate 2.4 and 5 GHz SSID, connect your wifi devices to one or the other.  Perhaps if you put the Samsung tablet on 2.4 GHz and the EchoShow 5 on 5 GHz, or vice versa, it may solve your problem.

5 GHz wifi is considered to be 'better' as it is less prone to wifi interference, and so suited to 'video streaming', BUT it has very short range btw.  ie. wifi signal may struggle to pass through one or two internal walls.

If problem persists, you may have stumbled across an obscure 'compatibility issue' between Hub 3, tablet and Echoshow 5 which won't be easy to resolve unless numerous other Virgin customers report the same symptoms.  You may have to consider putting Virgin hub in 'modem mode' and buying a decent 3rd party wifi router to hopefully resolve the issue.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have recently received and installed a Hub 4.  Everything works OK except my Alexa units.  I can get them to join the network, and they'll play for several minutes then they drop out and won't reconnect.  I never had this problem with my previous Virgin Wi-Fi.  It looks like the engineers have allowed a Gremlin to get into the new box of tricks.  Virgin need to resolve his quickly and I suggest they need to get on the case ahead of further Hub 4 roll out, or they're going to tarnish their already shaky reputation and people will look for a different provider (I'm already contemplating it).

Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Noeyedeer wrote:

I have recently received and installed a Hub 4.  Everything works OK except my Alexa units.  I can get them to join the network, and they'll play for several minutes then they drop out and won't reconnect.  I never had this problem with my previous Virgin Wi-Fi.  It looks like the engineers have allowed a Gremlin to get into the new box of tricks.  Virgin need to resolve his quickly and I suggest they need to get on the case ahead of further Hub 4 roll out, or they're going to tarnish their already shaky reputation and people will look for a different provider (I'm already contemplating it).

Have you reset the enter settings on the Alexa devices?

Failing that put the hub into modem mode with your own router or mesh system. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I've tried resetting both the Hub and Alexa.  After I reboot everything runs OK for a few minutes then the connection drops and can't be reinstated.  I suppose I could add my own modem, router, or mesh, but I send Virgin money every month and in exchange I expect to receive a service that works.  I shouldn't have to supplement Virgin's kit because it's inadequate - it should work, that's what I pay for. 

It may make more sense to ditch Virgin altogether and transfer to a provider who can supply working hardware.  My old Hub 3 used to work with Alexa, so I fail to see how Virgin can deem the new Hub 4 to be an improvement.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

But you don’t pay for Wi-Fi though.

And for the record I have a Hub4 and my Amazon devices all connect to it with no issues. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos