cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi Pods

chrispy1
Dialled in

I have a camera in the garden which connects via Wi-Fi but the signal is not that good. So I got a Wi-Fi Pod to boost the signal. I've put the pod in the conservatory just over 3M from the camera. It has made no difference and checking on the VM connect it shows the the camera isn't connecting to the  pod, it's still connecting to the hub.
Is there any way I can make it connect to the hub. I have reinstalled the camera but it still connected to the Hub.

Any help please.

5 REPLIES 5

Joseph_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @chrispy1,

Welcome back to the Community Forum and thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear you have been having this issue, have you checked the camera and how it connects to WiFi, certain devices will only connect via the 2.4ghz WIFI band, our WIFI naturally runs on both 2.4 and 5, this is the same for the Pod and so depending on how your WIFI is set up it could be causing this issue.

Joe

Client62
Legend

With a retail Wireless Repeater  ( E.g RE450/AC1750 or similar) the repeated Wi-Fi signal can have a different SSID and the camera can be paired with that meaning it has no choice but to connect to the Wireless Repeater.

With VM Pods the SSID is always the same as the Hub's, so the camera is free to make the choice between the Hub and the VM Pod & there are no options to affect the outcome.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Is there a good signal in the conservatory from the Hub? The Pod can only relay the quality of the signal that it receives, it can't make it any better.

Try moving it somewhere else, preferably half way between the two ends. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

chrispy1
Dialled in

The hub is the living next to the conservatory but the signal has trouble getting through the outside wall hence the pod. The camera on the outside of the conservatory about 3m away.
I get 267mbps in the living room. 97mbps in the conservatory and 38 by the camera without the pod. With the pod 167 in conservatory and 137 by camera. So the pod is defiantly boosting the signal. I would have thought the camera would connect to the stronger signal but it is connecting to the hub.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm afraid you have to rely on the VM "Intelligent WiFi" firmware that controls the Hub and Pods.  If you had better SoHo Access Points (Pods) you can do this sort of thing.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks