cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi Pod Not Working Properly All of a Sudden

Yolo
Joining in

Hello,

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a Wi-Fi Pod so I can get a solid connection in my office (third floor) for my wireless devices such as my phone/iPad (most of my devices are wired in the office). Last 2-3 days I noticed that even though I have a solid connection on Wi-Fi my speeds do not reach over 1 MBPS. 

When I reboot the Wi-Fi Pod it’s back to normal speeds but then a couple of minutes later it goes slow again. 

The Wi-Fi Pod is located on the third floor where the office is but I have the same issue on the second floor when it is placed there. When I walk back to second floor the speeds go back to normal. So it is like while I am connected to the Pod the speeds are slow. Probably because the Pod just can’t get enough speed? The connection is always full bars though. 

I decided to order another Pod and have one Wi-Fi Pod on the second floor and one on the third floor. I haven’t changed any of my Wi-Fi settings. 

Anyone have an idea what is causing this? 

Thank you. 

6 REPLIES 6

Yolo
Joining in

I should add that I can see the Wi-Fi Pod is connected to my network. 

Hi Yolo, 

Thanks for taking the time to post about your issues in the Community.

We're sorry to hear your WiFi is having issues with it's speed and performance. 

Taking a look at things this end, a few things are showing up in our diagnostics. The hub has been online for over a month so the first thing I would do is turn this off at the means for a few minutes before turning back on. This will refresh things and should ultimately improve things. 

When running a check on your WiFi itself, there is an interference issue from a TalkTalk connection. As this is running within close proximity to your hub, this will cause some issues. If this is running in your home, we would advise disabling this. 

The Hub's location could also be causing the coverage problem so we do need to check the positioning of it. Can you please ensure the following: 

• Out in the open
  • Next to the TV not behind it
  • Away from large bodies of water (e.g. fish tanks)
  • Away from baby monitors and cordless phones
  • Think of the Hub as a radio, and WiFi as the sound - the further away you are from the radio, or the more obstacles that are in the way (walls, electronic devices etc.), the quieter the radio & the poorer the WiFi. 

Keep us posted on how things go and if you need any further help, pop back to us here. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you for your reply. It started to work properly today with speeds hitting back to normal. 

I did receive my second Wi-Fi Pod today so I plugged this in on the second floor to strengthen everything even though before I plugged this in everything was back to normal. Everything is fine with second Wi-Fi Pod as well. 

What could the Talk Talk interference be? Another Wi-Fi network from a neighbour? I recognise all the devices on my network, which none are Talk Talk. I think I once did see Talk Talk Wi-Fi network but this would have been a neighbours network. 

Thank you. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As an aside, if you have wired connections in your office, why do you not wired in the Pod, or get a better wifi access point.  I assume you have an ethernet switch in the office?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

That is a good point but I am out of switch ports but might need to do that if this problem happens again. 

Keep us up to date with this Yolo and let us know if you need further assistance. Adduxi makes a great point in regards to using an ethernet cable with the Pod also.

Rob