Menu
cmennear
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Wi Fi Blackspots or weak signal

My Hub 3 is downstairs in the study which is in an annex to the main house. I work from home on a laptop in the upstairs bedroom & find the speed & signal in the bedrooms is much weaker despite the Virgin app saying the signal is "good" in 2 of the 3 bedrooms & poor in 2 bedrooms. After a Google search a PC magazine advised testing with inSSIDer. I downloaded & ran this on my laptop which gave the following:

1. Switching  to Channel 11 may improve performance as less crowded.

2. As WPA security is in use advised change to WPA2

3. "Your 2.4GHz access point ARRIS_00:31:99 is being overlapped by a network on a non-standard channel. This will impact your network performance."

Are these valid comments? Can any of these be changed to improve the wi fi signal in bedrooms? If so, how can this be achieved? 

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi Fi Blackspots or weak signal

I would take those recommended steps - as to whether they will fix the issues you're seeing, try and see;

1. Switching  to Channel 11 may improve performance as less crowded.

If there are neighbouring hubs on the other channels it may well help to move away from them - though there can be noise on those channels that appear empty - try changing the channel as suggested and see.  Netspot, from what I recall, will show the noise as well as the channels, even in the free version, unlike inSSIDer.

2. As WPA security is in use advised change to WPA2

A good move, unless you have older legacy devices that don't support WPA2 - this won't improve speed/range but will reduce the risk of someone using your Wi-Fi network.

3. "Your 2.4GHz access point ARRIS_00:31:99 is being overlapped by a network on a non-standard channel. This will impact your network performance."

Probably the most significant point - overlapping WiFi signals are not good - and worse than being on the same channel  - although there are '11' 2.4GHz channels (in the UK) they overlap - so it's recommended to keep to 1, 6 or 11.  If someone has chosen say channel 3 it will impact those on 1 and 6.

To make the changes simply log into the hub and go to the advanced wireless settings - take the hub off automatic setting and set things manually;

Hub Advanced Settings | Virgin Media

Wi-Fi is never going to be 'strongest' on a different floor from the router - performance decreases with distance - but is it good enough?   a 200 mbit/s internet connection will likely give 200 mbit/s near the downstairs router, especially on 5GHz.  Probably 'only' 10 mbit/s in a distant bedroom.  If that's inadequate look at a mesh system (which spreads the signal over a wider area/floors) or additional access point upstairs, preferably connected via an Ethernet cable. A 'booster' midway between the points may even help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos