cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why so poor?

twohitsthesix
Joining in

We switched from Sky broadband (old fashioned ADSL) to Virgin Fibre a few weeks ago and we’ve had nothing but problems since. Tonight was the last straw when it once again disconnected during a Zwift race. Every night streaming starts to buffer and not load content, my phone regularly doesn’t connect. Zwift disconnects every ride.

Being 15 years in tech support/QA I would have been all over this prior to having kids, noting downtimes, finding patterns, noting download speeds etc… but I don’t have time for that, I just want it to work. We’ve had one call out and the engineer gave us a new hub saying our first one was a refurb and could have been faulty. 

These issues are indiscriminate in terms of their location when they occur, I can be in a chair in touching distance of the hub and they happen. 

To me this is justification to cancel, we gave Virgin the chance to fix it with the call out and it has failed. My partner who signed up can’t be bothered and wants to stick for now hoping it can be improved.

And our basis of comparison, Sky, did not have these issues, no drop outs or buffering, Zwift worked fine. It may have been slower speeds, but it was consistent and it worked. That is far more preferable than this frustrating mess.

Any wisdom appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
When did your contract start? You only have 14-days from the activation date in which to cancel and incur no early disconnection fees. After that there is a hefty charge for cancelling the service.

What package are you on?

Also, are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are these problems evident on both wired & Ethernet connections? That helps to ID if this is a broadband problem or a wireless/router one.

1: Let's get all your modem stats.. Goto to http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) but don't log in. Click on "router status", and copy & paste the data from each of the tabs.

2: If you haven't already, please setup a Broadband Quality Monitor and post a link to your live graph. It monitors your connection 24/7 and provides excellent diagnosis of any underlying issues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi, we are on M125 Fibre Broadband and WiFi only, no wired connections.

Hub stats

twohitsthesix_0-1675889518186.png

twohitsthesix_1-1675889551453.png

twohitsthesix_2-1675889607499.pngtwohitsthesix_3-1675889657530.png

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As requested, can you copy & paste the info please, rather than screenshots please - much easier to read.

Also are you able to check whether the same problems are evident on Ethernet wired connections?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey twohitsthesix, thanks for your posts and replies on our help forum and this thread.

We're sorry to see you've had issues with your wireless speeds, could you please let us know how you get on since you last posted back on Wednesday?
Has any of the info and advice from our forum members above helped and have you checked your connection over ethernet to see if the same problem occurs as per japitts suggestion above?

Please, let us know where you are and if you still experience an issue with your wireless performance and/or speeds and we'll be eager to help.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs