Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Why is my Ethernet speed only 100mbps?

I was checking my HUB settings and on connected devices it says my two Ethernet devices are only on 100mbps? I am on a 350Mb package and I use CAT8 cables. Is there a specific reason why they are only limited to 100mbps? I'm not bothered about the speed for my LG TV but my other device is my PC so I would hope I would be able to get over 100. Just done a speed test on my PC and I am getting 88mbps.

ethernet1.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is my Ethernet speed only 100mbps?

Do they have gigabit enabled Ethernet cards?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'd have to check, but my PC is an Alienware gaming PC so I would think that would at least. I doubt the TV does.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Even my PS4 Pro which definitely has a gigabit ethernet port is only limited to 100mbps... so something must be wrong.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

My Alienware PC also has a gigabit ethernet port along with my PS4 Pro, both are limited to 100mbps on an Ethernet connection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You say you’re using CAT8 cables?

Purchased from where?

What colour are the Ethernet lights on the ports?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I am using KASIMO CAT-8 cables purchased from Amazon, the lights on the router are flashing green.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

are you connecting the device directly to the hub or using a switch to powerline adapters

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

So as you are expecting >100mbps, do make sure that your device has a gigabit network card and has the most up to date drivers. Use a new/different ethernet cable) to connect it directly to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (see VM website for the "how to") this ensures only your one device is connected. Check speeds like that first.

Run your speedtests at speedtest.net (do them on x2 close VM servers) using 2 different browsers - preferably with one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, Safari etc) - there are several reports on here of certain browsers causing speed issues.

If they are still low - then, boot up your (Windows) device into "safe mode with networking" - to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds - lots do - I have a list of threads from here where that has been the root cause of speed issues.

Try that and report back what you get.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I do have a 5 port gigabit ethernet switch upstairs which my PC/PS4 is connected to.

0 Kudos