Menu
doc_mcmanus
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Why is it impossible to speak to someone on all forms of media?

So 150 is engaged, the additional number cuts you off to line checks, text messages don't work and only reply to ask you if you still need help, Twitter and other social media don't "have the power" and now I am left here in community limbo with no real belief this will work.

I have a signal dropping issue - 3 months now - I haven't manage to get a hold of anyone.  I need a new router, so how does one go about telling the necessary people that this is what I need?  Failing that it will be a DD canceling job and going with someone else till Virgin call me for non payment and then promptly told to stick it.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is it impossible to speak to someone on all forms of media?

They are having technical issues now on the phone lines ! Try calling in at 08.00.

In the meantime explain some more about what the issues are and someone here may be able to help.

Signal dropping - how exactly - on ethernet connections, on wfi or on both? On what devices? Or do you mean speed dropping?

What Hub model do you have and what do the various lights do/show when you have the issue?

And what makes you think you need a new Hub and not a Tech visit to fix an issue on the cable connection to the street cab?

(Oh... and if you cancel the DD it will be their appointed debt collection agents that come calling and your credit file will be "marked" and that will be a pain to get removed.)

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
doc_mcmanus
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The lights don't change on the router, the sinal from the router to the devices drop out and various intervals (as shown on this image).  It's either the signal coming IN to the router or the signal via WiFi coming out, but there is a pattern of signal drop on all devices.

I have tried to log on to the IP of the Router but the base password is incorrect and therefore I cannot make any more determinations.  It's the HUB 3 and I assume it's the hub as all other signal checks from neighbours and online state the signal is fine coming in to the house, but I'm willing to be wrong on this.

Screenshot 2021-01-25 at 13.04.57.png

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The hub password is on the hub to login make sure its the right one if you can't login do a reset.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re logging on. there are 2 passwords on the Hub base - one for getting to the settings and one for connecting wifi devices - try them both if you aren't sure. If no luck then do a 0second hold pinhole reset of the Hub and they will revert to those 2.

If no lights change on the Hub it suggests that the signal is fine and you just having wifi interference problems. The image you posted has nothing to do with anything and you must have got that from the Hub settings anyway - so did you actually log in ?

Connect a computer or laptop directly into the Hub by a Cat5e/6/7 ethernet cable and see if that remains connected to the internet ok when a wifi device drops off.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
doc_mcmanus
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I followed those instructions before - neither password worked and a reset gained nothing either.

The image I posted is a screen shot of the "router status" which clearly shows DHCP RENEW WARNING and therefor there are protocol issues with that router.  The status can be obtained without logging in to it, which is why I checked it

The CAT5 cable option has also been checked and I get NO signal at all through that

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ahhhh ok - cant see it properly as its a screenshot. Try calling in again at 08.00 when you should get through

Info from a previous post re DHCP is below.

I would try the reset one more time as it can be tricky.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 5' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub (it is a six digit numeric one).

If you cant log in over wifi do it on an ethernet connection (or vica versa), and try different browsers

See if that sorts it.

The DHCP errors are just the way VM handles DHCP leases, by ignoring the Hub's DHCP lease requests whilst in the RENEW state and only responding to DHCP requests when the Hub goes into the REBIND state when the Hub has to provide some validation info to obtain a DHCP lease and hence an IP address. This is a security feature and does not affect performance in any way.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos