Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Why has my WiFi connection slowed within the past 2 weeks

I have had major issues with VM just recently. 
my hub kept bumping us off consistently so eventually after requesting a disconnect customer services sent me a new hub.

i did a self install which worked fine but the hub still appears to require a restart 1 -2 times a day. Also my son was playing in his first ever Cash prize tournament on PS4 on Sunday 7/6/20 and guess what!! He started to lag and got kicked off the tournament! His speeds on a 200mbps powerline unit are appalling and coming in at 18-30mbps, the WiFi now only works at well below 50mbps. I have seen WiFi speeds on my ookla test on WiFi at 200 previously so can someone please help me to understand why in the last 2 weeks it has all become really poor? Wired on Ethernet the speed now appears to have some consistency at 200+ and when you speak to customer services this is all they say they guarantee. However my TV is wired to Ethernet and I have had recent issues trying to connect to Netflix. When I explain I used to get much faster speeds they try to blame it on COVID-19, which I could understand if we had been getting the issue 8-12 weeks previously. I am on the brink of leaving VM as I am becoming more and more frustrated with the issues that I am encountering. 
is anyone else encountering the same issues? Can anyone offer any advise or help please. 
Thank you 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why has my WiFi connection slowed within the past 2 weeks

You’ll never get full speeds over WiFi or a wired powerline unit especially via a console.

Any gamer worth their salt, especially if playing in a tournament, will wire directly to the hub. 

Wifi speeds are never guaranteed and form no part of the speed promise/guarantee.

If your wired speeds are fine you need to look into optimising the WiFi or getting a better router, mesh system or running some wired AP’s around. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate what you are saying, however the answer doesn’t quite answer why this has only just begun to happen over the past couple of weeks? Also why would the speed on Ethernet fluctuate ie Netflix via Ethernet unable to connect as no network connection? I understand that WiFi will never operate again the same speed but recent connection speeds are as low as 12 but have in the past been consistently well over 120, so what has happened to slow it down so much within 2 weeks with all other parameters being the same?

Not tech enough to understand what a Mesh system is or running APs around?

From the gaming aspect I understand about being wired direct but it hasn’t been an issue until 2 weeks ago and I am addressing this having purchased some longer Ethernet cables.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Any environmental change can effect WiFi speeds and connectivity. Maybe a neighbour got a new router? Or installed a booster? Or got a new internet provider altogether? The list goes on.

Have you looked at changing WiFi channels to a less congested one? Have you disabled “smart” WiFi in the hub? Split the WiFi bands into separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Yes I have split the signals as I know that the new smart WiFi can create issues

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes.  Particularly within the last few weeks VM has been useless.  I can be sat wanting to check my emails and I can’t connect to the house WiFi!?  I’m paying for same speed, 200, but when I’ve ran a speed test results are pathetic, in fact VM should be very embarrassed!   I’m going to change from VM.  USELESS 😫

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It’s interesting that in the new times of zoom and teams the only people I have encountered having issues with connections are the people on VM, I agree with your comments.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

And they are usually ones using a wifi connection. If they were using ethernet, >90% of them would have zero issues. Anyone who "just has to use wifi", should really get their own better quality wirelesss equipment. VM and all other BB providers supply very basic wifi routers/hubs and do not guarantee any wifi connections and speeds - their guarantees cover BB delivered to the Hub and extracted via ethernet cable.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

OK, so that is why they advertise super amazing speeds and hubs that ensure all the family get amazing connections then. When you are paying for a service you expect to get kit that is capable of providing the service, WiFi or Ethernet.

So as a diving instructor I advertise fantastic super fast cylinder fills that may offer anywhere between 1ltr to 12ltrs of clean air however if you want to ensure that you get the best fill of 12ltrs anytime then bring your own compressor to my shop and I will still charge you the same price because you are using my electricity.... 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Out of interest John, how much did you spend on all the kit to get a decent WiFi service? Cheers

0 Kudos