cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does netflix think im using vpn

Nic88
Tuning in

Netflix will not work correctly and they are saying it is due to using proxy server or VPN. I haven't changed anything with the broadband today so unsure why this has happened? Could anyone advise please 

46 REPLIES 46

It just fixed itself. Within the space of 2 days I went from having all content to just netflix originals and then back to all content. Netflix were awful! They even sent me instructions on how to cancel my account! I'd only asked how long it would take to rectify and if it was long term would i receive a refund. 

Sorry I don't know how they resolved it but I did have a few useless calls to Netflix and a rude online chat. So they were fully aware of the issue.

That completely reflects my experience with them too! It seems like they’re trying to get rid of customers!

I had this problem once but it turned out my IPTV app had a VPN built into it and when I exited the IPTV app the VPN was still running in the background and for some odd reason all my devices where connecting via the VPN. Once I caught on and killed the VPN all was fine again 🙂

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

.....sorry not all my devices were going through the VPN but rather all the apps on my device was going through the VPN 🙂

BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

Hi @Nic88, thanks for your post and I'm sorry to hear of your issues with Netflix.

Really glad though to hear this seems to have resolved itself now!

Please let me know if you need any further assistance and I'll do my best to help you out.

Regards

Tom_W

There’s a couple of issues going on here which do seem to be a bit inexplicable, but the issues are mainly down to legal requirements.

Other than Netflix originals, all of their content is purchased or licensed from various studios, and often these studios themselves have licensing arrangement with various countries or regions, So a studio might allow Netflix to have a film on condition that it is only available in, say, the USA because that’s the deal that the lawyers have negotiated, the rights for, say, Europe might be with Sky etc. 

So Netflix need to be vary very careful about who accesses their content, it isn’t all that easy to find out where a customer is connecting from, and if there is any sort of ambiguity they absolutely will err on the side of caution and block you - in case the lawyers wade in.

The only real thing Netflix know is what IP address you are connecting from, despite popular belief there are no UK IP addresses or French IP addresses, all they know is which ISP has registered a block of addresses and where they are based and these don’t always match up with physical reality, or are out of date. So if they see you connecting from a certain address and they can’t be sure that this address originates from within the UK (say), they have to play safe and block it. So whose fault is it? Arguably Netflix’s but absolutely they would rather lose you as a customer (tough don’t like it then cancel) then run the risk of being sued by one of the studios. Also sometimes the effort involved in sorting out and maintaining their database of which IPs are originating from which region just isn’t worth it to them.

Of course they don’t want to lose customers but ultimately if they decide that it isn’t worth their while making the effort to keep you as a customer then, I’m afraid, tough!

I am having this issue as well. Help!

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @hatay

Welcome back to our Community Help Forum. Sorry to hear you are also experiencing this issue with Netflix, just to clarify: are you using a VPN? Is the issue happening on all devices you watch Netflix on? Are you only ably to access certain titles?

Please do keep us updated on how things are working for you now.

Best wishes,

Serena

Peteryoung34
Tuning in

I am having the same problem. The Netflix error is: "You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy" And it provides a link for support: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/277

I do not use a proxy or vpn. As far as I can see the Hub 5 router is not set up with a vpn/proxy.

The issue stops many shows from appearing on Netflix.

Since the issue appeared I have tried restarting the router and changing it from Hub 4 to Hub 5 and it doesn't make any difference.

I accessing Netflix through the router using Smart TV, iPhone, iPad, AppleTV but all do not work. If I access through the local 4G/5G network then there is no issue and I get all shows on Netflix. This indicates it is definitely a problem with the Wifi provided by Virgin Media.

I have tried all the solutions/investigations in this thread. So I think further investigation is required to resolve this issue.

I am not using a VPN and do not have such software downloaded on my device either.