Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Why does my wifi sometime connect to vodafone

While using my MacBook which connects via wifi the internet speed is sometime terrible. upon checking with speedtest.net it sometime informs me i'm connected via vodafone and not Virgin media. When connect via VM I get between 90-100mbs when vodafone is listed as my service provider it's 0.5-2mbs. This also has happened on my flatmates mobile phone sometimes. Restarting the MacBook sometimes fixes the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does my wifi sometime connect to vodafone

Do you have a mobile somewhere that’s previously been used as a wireless hotspot?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

or do you use powerline network adapters on the network at all

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

In the Macbook go to .. System Preferences>Network>Advanced In there uncheck the Voda (and other) Networks and "auto join" boxes and just check the ones for your own SSID's in the list.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes I do, I turned them off and my Mac seemed to hang while trying up update Speedtest. After turning the WiFi off/on Speedtest started showing Virgin as my provider again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This issue happens not infrequently, what you will find is that a neighbour has Vodafone broadband and is also using Powerline adapters and their's and yours are bridging. It should't happen between supplies but does although the connection quality is generally really bad but sometimes enough for one of your devices to appear on the other persons network and vice versa.

You will ned to check the instructions for your particular model but PL adapters all have a means of encrypting traffic between them so that they can't talk to 'rogue' devices - it might be enough to factory reset all of yours and then repair them.

0 Kudos