Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Why does my Super Hub show devices connected through Ethernet when I set them up as wireless?

I have a number of devices connected to my Super Hub 3 (M200) Most of which are Smart plugs or Wifi Printers, which I set up as wireless connections. I also have some that for performance, I have connected through Ethernet, 'Powerline' Extender and Booster for example and a WD MyCloud 2TB Storage. I know how many are connected this way, but when I log on to my hub, it shows many more than I know I have actually connected that way and there are only so many Ethernet sockets on the Hub than can be physically connected! I have introduced a Smart Hub into the network, which is connected by Ethernet and a Wifi Booster also connected by Ethernet! So is it possible that devices connected through either of them, are showing 'Ethernet ' connection, even though they are wireless?

I would be grateful if someone could explain, or advise, as I'm about to expand into a Smart home environment. Thanks in advance

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Why does my Super Hub show devices connected through Ethernet when I set them up as wireless?

i assume that the boosters connected to the hub via an ethernet cable (albeit over the mains circuit, but then into the hub by a cable) so.. a bit like this (sorry, crude i know)..

<hub>---ethernet---<powerline adapter>---powercable--<powerline wifi extender>----wifi clients ?

if so, as far as the hub is concerned, it's connected via ethernet.. since it sees those MAC addresses on the ethernet cable that's connected to the hub.