Menu
ClareP82
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Why are my video calls sometimes awful?

I'm having a very frustrating time with video calling when working from home.

At least once or twice a day, I'll either have to switch my camera off, get booted out of zoom/Google hangouts/teams completely or the sound keeps stopping and starting making following meetings almost impossible.

It seems to be totally random, not any particular time of day and unrelated to whether anyone else is at home.

I have a booster right under my desk to help with signal in the room where I work. Until recently things have been fine.

What should I do? Had a very stressful client workshop today which underlined the need to get this sorted! 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why are my video calls sometimes awful?

Plug your device into the Hubdirectly on an ethernet cable and see if that stabilises it for the call.

If it does then either make that arrangement permanent or improve the wifi signal at the location.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there ClareP82,

Thanks for your post and a big welcome to the community. It's great having you on board with us. I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your broadband. 

Our diagnostics on your home network and Hub have not found any issues that could account for connection drop-outs. There are no open faults in your area either. 

On the PC/Laptop you are using for work, are you connecting via a VPN or connecting directly to your own network? If you are connecting via a WiFi network, these links may help to optimise things. 

Service status         
Wi-Fi hints and tips   
Wi-Fi troubleshooting

Please keep us updated on how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can concur - our work VPN is awful - I end up disconnecting for video calls!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
ClareP82
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, yes I do use a VPN to access the work network. Would you recommend I disconnect for calls then? 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Did you try it on a direct ethernet cable connected device?

Others need to comment but many posts say that a VPN works better on your own router rather than on the VM Hub.

@Iotharmat - was that the case when you got your own router

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos