Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Why am I being charged for a booster

Hi, I have just signed up to Virgin Media 200Mb Broadband package (28/08/2020) after being with BT for 20 years and discovered that the wifi signal was not reaching some parts of the house.  I eventually worked out that I needed to download the app and carry out a wifi signal check in every room and it came back stating that 3 rooms had a poor signal.  The app recommended that I order a booster (which arrives 07/09/2020) but that I will be charged £3.00 per month.

This is not what I signed up to.  The sales rep (Karl Bonney) stated that if the signal did not reach every part of the house then I would get a booster or boosters free of charge.

I have tried to contact Customer Service by telephone and after 90 minutes of listening to holding music I decided to hang up.

I don't see why I should have to pay for the boosters when I was given a guarantee that if the wifi did not work properly then there would be no additional charge.

Any advice would be welcome.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why am I being charged for a booster

The sales rep might not be able to remember the exception when booster are free or not so you don't get them free with the package you signed up too.

anyway the booster might not help you just send them back and get yourself a better wireless router with 1Gb ports and have the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi legacy1

Thanks for coming back to me. I’d rather try and get it sorted out with VM than go and spend further on a router. After all I’m paying for a service that they claim they’ll guarantee. 

if they can’t sort it I’ll go back to BT Infinity which is better than what I’ve got now. Plus when you dial customer service you get to speak to someone. 

ive got a feeling I made a mistake swapping to VM

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

if they can’t sort it I’ll go back to BT Infinity which is better than what I’ve got now. Plus when you dial customer service you get to speak to someone. 

Bear in mind that you've only got 14 days from 28/8 to cancel without penalty, so that's now down to 7 days.  After that VM will try and extract circa £250 in early termination charges, and whilst you probably could avoid those by raising a formal complaint demanding release without penalty because you were promised decent wifi which the company can't or won't deliver, even then VM may refuse and you'd end up escalating to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS, all of which will be very slow indeed.

Even if they give you boosters, their effectiveness is variable, and depends on the mains electrical layout in your property.  Many of us regulars have long given up on the poor wifi of VM's hubs, and bought our own router or mesh systems - if the connection is otherwise fast and reliable you may want to consider that as an option.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm in the same boat, new to Virgin, signal from Hub3 doesnt reach the kitchen, never ever been a problem with previous ISP equipment. 

Doesnt sit right with me that I'd have to spend additional funds for another router and cost to run it because of the inadequacies of the Hub 3. 

It's clear reading through the community posts that this is a common issue for users and new customers but VM fault team were pretty dismissive of the router being the issue and the only solution offered was to try boosters at further cost.  The Hub 4 looked to be a solution, but they would not offer this no matter how hard I tried.

Frustrating and also considering termination in cool off.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The Hub 4 looked to be a solution, but they would not offer this no matter how hard I tried.

Despite VM's claims about "best ever wifi" for the Hub 4, it's still pants, and you'd open yourself to a world of weird and inexplicable performance issues, accompanied by ineffective support.  Even though for some users the Hub 4 works well, personally I wouldn't have a Hub 4 at the moment if I was offered it on a free contract.  Bear in mind that for the past few years the Hub 3 was marketed as "our best ever wifi".

Like it or not, your options here are:

1. Tolerate the poor VM wifi
  2. Buy your own router or mesh system
  3. Get hold of a VM booster and hope it works
  4. Find a new ISP.

If you've got an otherwise solid connection, then Whoops - important edit: option 1 option 2 gives the overall best experience, and the cost has to be accepted as a further part of the Virgin Media Cost Premium. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos