cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White hub 3.0 hot and red led , manufacturer stamp copyright 2015 - 2016

ihutch
Tuning in

Hi 

I believe I might need to replace my hub.

I have turned it off for 10 minutes and tried a factory reset, but the red LED does not turn white, which is what it has been in the past [normal operations]. The hub is in router mode as well.

ihutch_0-1698350653645.jpeg

ihutch_0-1698350895965.png

As you can see, there is enough ventilation, and the stamp on the base indicates it was assembled in 2015-2016.

regards 

[REMOVED]

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

7 REPLIES 7

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @ihutch thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to see the issue with the red light on the Virgin Media hub.
Before we continue, are you able to take out all the cables and place them back in?

Let us know and we can go on from there.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

ihutch
Tuning in

Hi Ilyas

No change when taking out the cables 
the power LED remains red, and the Hub 3.0 remains warm/hot to the touch

otherwise the hub 3.0 is operating normally 

Regards
Iain

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Make sure to switch it off from the mains whenever no one is in, or you are asleep.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

ihutch
Tuning in

Hi

This is my original White Hub 3.0, which I have had since new [ never been replaced ] and has existed onsite since the days of 25 mbps , 50mbps and 100 mbps [ Virgin / Blueyonder broadband packages ], of which some were free speed upgrades [cost nothing extra and before O2 Volt boosts]. {yes, I am a long-standing customer with Virgin Media and formerly Blueyonder and generally have no issues or complaints about the service, hence a very new looking community profile "Tuning in" }

The Hub 3.0 replaced "the Scientific Atlanta cable mode box" that was supplied by Blueyonder back in the day.

Even though it is a workaround, it is not practical for this household [ not stating when it could be turned off].

Regards
Iain

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A VM person will respond here soon (I escalated your post).  This Hub is very old and they will change it - probably to a newer but refurbished Hub3.  These are also known to have old LED's that "fail" over the years.  So although overheating and fire is unlikely - the Hub's detection system for that, is compromised. 

Also, VM used to supply wifi "boosters" of about the same vintage - search the forum - there are several reports of these spontaneously bursting into flames.  Fortunately with no serious consequences on these rare occasions - but hence my advice to switch this Hub off when no one can detect an incident.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the reply @ihutch.

I will assist further and send a private message to investigate.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for speaking with us today @ihutch on the forums.

I'm glad we have been able to book in a tech appointment for this issue.
Let us know how it goes with the appointment - more information can be found within our conversation regarding time and date.

Reach out to us if you have any other queries and we'll assist.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team