Menu
Sonicpea
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Which Deco

Hi,  I have just been upgraded to the virgin hub 4.0 and, previously, used wifi extenders to try to reach black spots.  

I would like to try mesh wifi and was going to get the TP deco system.  I am just stuck on which one to get. The main need is to allow my external RING camera and doorbell to connect to the home wifi.  I had an extender plugged into the porch socket before.  It worked but it was not brilliant. 

I would also like better wifi upstairs.  The units  I looked at were the Deco M5 the M9 and the X60.  I just don’t really know enough to decide which to go for and if they will work. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Which Deco

how much do you want to spend, and how big is the house?

The M9 has a dedicated radio for backhaul between the mesh units, the M5 does not. 

The X60 is more future-proofed as it supports wifi-6.. 

0 Kudos
Sonicpea
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Which Deco

Hi, thank you🙂.

I went for the x60 and it’s brilliant.  The only thing that didn’t play ball was the skyQ and sky mini box.  They wouldn’t connect over Wi-Fi… I don’t really understand why but it’s something to do with the frequency. And they kept crashing. So I managed to Ethernet them into the deco units which, luckily, were close by to them.  But everything else connected fine including the ring doorbell and cameras.   I got an unmanaged Ethernet hub too so my laptop, Xbox, cat flap etc are all Wired in.   My hubby wants to add that since we switched to mesh, neither of us has had issues with working from home.... no sluggish Teams calls, no drops in connection.

I am getting really good wired in speeds and perfectly acceptable WiFi speeds.  Picture attached. 

004CB7CD-A65A-40C8-BCAA-B921BBC9717E.jpeg

F8DF75FE-27FF-4629-9533-182395EDA596.jpeg

Tags (3)
0 Kudos