Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Whats app video call

Hi guys. I have a big problem here and did find few other people have similar issues. I have the new hub 4 originaly with gig1 package but then downgraded to 350 within the cooling off period.

Since that we have constant issues with whats app video calls with family. Internet works perfect, netflix or amazon everything on wifi works amazing and quick !

But when calling someone on whats app video its dropping, freezing, re-connecting etc. Nothing help, child safe off, several restarts nothing.

I did try call them but no chance with less then 45 min waiting time. Before we change the package we never have any issues but making simple video call now its just impossible and the wifi its mainly used for this right now. When we both turn wifi of and get into 3/4g signal with our network provider video call its clear. We have very weak signal but still work. On wifi - no chance. What is causing this ?

thanks in advance

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Whats app video call

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Im not getting this answers about the quality of the hub or the speed over wifi. There is NOTHING WRONG with wifi signal in my home. Full coverage everywhere, no black spots etc. 

Im streaming 4K video on wifi everything is perfect. It was always perfect with whats app aswell. From few months just on this one app on both phones video dosent work !

I have 350 package and full speed over wifi. I can sit right next to the hub and the video call still don’t work

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried uninstalling the App and reinstalling?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/WiFi-calling-and-WhatsApp-video/m-p/4252498...

And what phone & OS are you using?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

My family aborad have speed of 20mbit/s and 10 times worst hubs and once I’ll disconect virgin and talk thru my mobile network its working. I don’t think there is an wifi issue at all its seems for me like VM its blocking something or some of my settings are wrong but I just did full pin hole restart and no change.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I did. On both phones. No help. Its not just freezing like weak wifi its just simply dosent work at all. 

Im on 11 pro max and missus on XS max both latest iOS but the issue is there long time ago not after iOS updat

The problem is not on my virgin mobile plan as Im with Three. The problem is under VM Broadband only

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

My missus has the XS Max (me iP7) and it works perfectly for us on VM BB.   However, you have the Hub4 where as I always use  VM Hub in modem mode with my own wireless equipment.

As it worked ok (correct?) on the Hub3, then I suspect its something in the Hub4 settings that is borking it. Someone with more knowledge/experience of this Hub will need to suggest something.

Or call in and say you want the Hub3 back as the Hub4 isn't fit for your purpose.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Similar issues ?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/WiFi-calling-and-WhatsApp-video/m-p/4252498...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-4-failed-WiFi-connection-to-HP-Printer/...

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I can’t say exactly when this start. Not sure if straight after swapping tge hub. I remember my partner moaning about it but I said always its propably your family with their bad internet. Just recently got time to get into this and something here cuasing this. I can live stream video on my wifi, I can download files and streaming 4K and play on x box - no 1 single issue here with speed or quality. Just video call on whats app don’t work. If I will step out of wifi coverage and make a video call on whats app works perfect. Something is not right here

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

If everything else is working ok then it could be a WhatsApp issue. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos