Menu
BarateGites
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

What’s the best solution to unusable WiFi?

I signed up with Virgin in June and I’ve honestly had no complaints up until recently. I have the 100mbps package and it worked flawlessly, providing coverage to every room in the house

However, this all changed a few weeks ago. Since then the range barely goes past the living room and kitchen, with little to no signal upstairs meaning constant drop outs and speeds of 6mbps and below

I’ve tried all the usual tricks like resetting the router and fiddling in the router settings etc, but that was just as useless as talking to their technical support team who essentially told me to deal with as they couldn’t see anything wrong on their end

So I’ve recently been looking in to overhauling my home networking to get the speeds and range I’m paying for, which is where this question comes from

What’s the best solution here. Should I just get an expensive replacement router? Should I invest in a mesh network? Or is a simple WiFi booster sufficient?

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: What’s the best solution to unusable WiFi?

If your only needing to extend 100mb then I would suggest a mesh system.  What's your budget?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wifi boosters are often cludgey, and depending on the technology they use can be unreliable in some circumstances, so personally I wouldn't touch them.  I'd recommend a good standalone router or a mesh system with the hub running in modem mode (I went with mesh and have no regrets), and you're currently looking around £100 for that or the newer TP-Link Deco S4, but make sure any mesh system you choose has gigabit ethernet ports as otherwise you'll forever be limited to 100 Mbps which may not matter now, but might in future. 

An alternative is a mid price standalone router, and the TP-Link Archer C6 or C7, for forty or seventy quid respectively.  Both have had good reviews and there's people in this forum using them happily. @lotharmat may be willing to advise on the C7. 

It might sound like I'm on commission from TP-LInk, but (sadly) that's not the case, they just have a particularly strong balance of value and technical competence.  You can spend less and get less, and you can spend a lot more but only get a bit more; there's excellent mesh and routers offered by companies including Netgear and Asus, but their products are generally higher priced.

There's fancy features for higher prices (such as Wifi 6, tri-band systems and so on), but as you're on a sub-500 Mbps connection, and your post implies a reluctance to throw too much money at the problem I think they rule themselves out, as they did for me.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The Archer c7 is working incredibly well for me! - Range is fantastic and is very configurable!

Handles my son gaming, netflix, amazon prime movies all at the same time really well

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

And here's somebody delighted with an Archer C6:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Binning-the-Superhub-for-another-Router/td-p/4752653

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks