cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s my WiFi username?

sstave01
On our wavelength

Sounds silly I know but my phone can connect to my default Virgin Media WiFi as the credentials must be saved somewhere. But when I try on another device, MacBook or another phone, it asks for a Username and Password, not just a password like normally when you connect to a WiFi network. I have no idea what the username should be. Any ideas? Is this something I can find on the Hub 3.0 settings? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

No problem,

Some of our customers allow us to broadcast a separate network from their hub, these use the SSID "Virgin Media" and members of the public that have the correct user name and password can connect to it. So people could sit outside your house and connect to that network.

These shared networks do not use your bandwidth and the system is totally separate and secure, they cannot access your home network or slow you down.

So what's in it for you? Well, by allowing the broadcast from your hub you are allowed to connect to any "Virgin Media" public wifi for free. Its a way of creating a huge public accessible wifi network.

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

To connect from a laptop you would if your email address as part of the user name, it needs to be the one associated with your VM account.

If your email was Davejones@virginmedia.com you would enter vmedwifi/Davejones@virginmedia.com as your user name and then use your normal Virgin Media account password as the password.

Hope this helps

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there,

It should never ask you for a user name, are you sure you are trying to connect to your wifi?

sstave01
On our wavelength

Yes - on my phone I have a list of available wifi networks (including neighbours) and one which is Virgin Media. My personal iPhone can connect and with mobile data switched off I can confirm there is a good connection and data flowing. Also, I switched off the router (Hub 3.0) and the network disappeared, so it's defo my router producing this network SSID. 

Some quick background which might help - a few years back when I got the Super Hub 2, I looked at using Modem mode and purchased an Apple Airport Extreme which I connect from one of the LAN ports from the VM router. However I quickly ran out of LAN ports and given the VM router is near the TV, I decided to stick the VM router back in Router mode and make use of the other LAN ports BUT disabled the wireless network in the settings. So Advanced Settings -> Wireless -> Wireless Signal - disabled the 2.5GHz and 5GHz wireless signal and the Guest signal too.

Everything else has been working fine but I've been having a few challenges with getting signal in my shed where I am now working from in COVID! The wireless signals from the Airport Extreme are quite week but this Virgin Media signal is ok. Problem is I can't access it on anything other that my iPhone as it's the only device that has the access stored. 

Hi,

You network won't be called "virgin media" this is the public access wifi. If you look on the bottom of your hub it will have the network name on a sticker. Please look for that one.

Jon

sstave01
On our wavelength

Thanks Jon,

Curious - what is this "public access wifi"?

I've not seen this network in appear in the available wifi list before - but I haven't been working since lockdown so that might explain why I've not come across this earlier. 

I'm comfortable using the Hub 3.0 settings and configuring a wireless signal if needed - might be something I see whether the Hub 3.0 has a better range that the Airport Extreme. 

However can you assist me please in where I can find out a username and password for the "public access wifi" please? 

Thanks you've been most helpful! 

No problem,

Some of our customers allow us to broadcast a separate network from their hub, these use the SSID "Virgin Media" and members of the public that have the correct user name and password can connect to it. So people could sit outside your house and connect to that network.

These shared networks do not use your bandwidth and the system is totally separate and secure, they cannot access your home network or slow you down.

So what's in it for you? Well, by allowing the broadcast from your hub you are allowed to connect to any "Virgin Media" public wifi for free. Its a way of creating a huge public accessible wifi network.

Jon

sstave01
On our wavelength

Great - so I assume I can connect to it as well? 

Is there a way of connecting to it form a MacBook or other laptop please? 

I've managed to track down another post which suggests the following: 

It's an enterprise wifi connection that requests an username and password...

To connect without the app,

1. Choose the WiFi network "Virgin Media"
2. Username is your VM account email, "vmedwifi/*YOUREMAIL*" eg. vmedwifi/myemail@yahoo.co.uk
3. Password is your VM account password

Is that something you are aware of/are there any instructions for me to connect to my "own" routers public wifi? 

My advice would be to disconnect the AirPort Extreme, enable the wifi on your hub3 and use your own service.
You could use the public network but, if memory serves me correct, it's only a 10meg connection. Plus you need to consider the security implications that come with public networks.

sstave01
On our wavelength

Thanks Jon - can you help me in connecting to this public network, that's really the crux of this request. 

I'm not going to disconnect the AirPort Extreme quite yet as everything connected via that is working fine and with good speeds. 

I found just with the Hub 3.0, the coverage was not adequate so now I have the Extreme, it's been working much better. 

I just happen with Covid to need a proper work-from-home office rather than the kitchen table so I've sorted out the shed and now working in there. 

If I can access the public Virgin Media network there, it may even be from next door or another router - again I just need to work out how to login to this network please! 

To connect from a laptop you would if your email address as part of the user name, it needs to be the one associated with your VM account.

If your email was Davejones@virginmedia.com you would enter vmedwifi/Davejones@virginmedia.com as your user name and then use your normal Virgin Media account password as the password.

Hope this helps