Menu
osterburg
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What is the best way to use WiFi extenders?

Hello,

I opted for the M500 Fibre Broadband, which works fantastic in the room where the Hub V4 is but not in the rest of the flat. Dropping from 500+ Mbps to below 50Mbps 20ft away in the office. Because of that, I got tp-link deco m5 extenders, which makes it better but not perfect. And wondered if anyone has a better understanding of how to place them around the house/flat other than in the door frame itself.

I am guessing proper English brick buildings don't help.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: What is the best way to use WiFi extenders?

Can I check that either:

1) The Hub 4 is in normal router mode, and the Deco is in access point mode, or....

2) The Hub 4 is in modem mode, and the Deco is in router mode?  That is the best option.

If they're both running in their (default) router mode that will cause all manner of weird and wonderful problems. 

Assuming that you have got that side of things under control, if you still can't get a decent signal and speed with the Deco M5 then you may need to connect the Deco units via ethernet cable between them, and that's easy to say, usually a right pain to do inconspicuously. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

osterburg
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for the tip. Do you have some pointers on how to do that?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'd need a bit more info about what devices are connected to the Hub 4 by network cables, because that will affect choices about the operating modes.  I'm also assuming that the M5 is a three-device setup?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
osterburg
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Correct, I have three Deco M5 devices and a Hub 4. The Hub 4 is located in the living room and one M5 is connected via ethernet cable to it. The other two are in the kitchen and office. All in default mode. And I set up the deco's as a new network.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If there's nothing other than the first Deco connected to the Hub, or only one other ethernet conection, then best option is to make sure the Deco is in router mode.  So in the Deco, select the "More Settings>Advanced>Operation Mode and what it should show is "Wireless router".  So long as that is set, you need to go into the settings menu of the Hub 4, and somewhere in the Advanced settings or the Admin menus will be something like "Enable modem mode".  You choose that, the hub will reboot, and take a few minutes to come back on line.  If the Deco is the only thing connected, then after about six minutes when the Hub 4 has got its act in gear, the Deco should be operational again and you should be good to go.  If there was any other device plugged into the hub's ethernet ports, then you'll need to disconnect that, restart the hub again so that when it powers up there is only the Deco connected.  There's a spare ethernet port on the base of the Deco, you can connect one other cabled device on that, if you need more ports then you'll need to buy what's called an "unmanaged gigabit ethernet switch" for about fifteen quid online.

Assuming that all goes smoothly, I'd hope wireless performance improves because the setup is now optimised for your M5 mesh.  If it's still problematic, then we'll need to start checking out the power and noise performance of your hub in case that's a factor, and consider whether linking all the Decos by ethernet is a practical option for you.

If it all goes horribly wrong, then your get out of jail free card is to do a pinhole reset of the Hub 4, that will return it to the default settings including router mode, but it shouldn't come to that.  Let us know how it goes, and if we need to do more to get everything working as you want.

0 Kudos
osterburg
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

will give it try first thing in the morning - thx
0 Kudos
osterburg
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Actually, I just tried it and the performance even dropped by 50%. Also tried the access point solution but without any luck - no internet access at all. But I might do something wrong here.

I will try it again tomorrow - thx.

0 Kudos
osterburg
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re-done the test and with your recommended solution I am getting now 200Mbps (office) instead of 50Mbps, but still not the ~500Mbps in the living room.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What speed in the living room? 

Whilst some devices can get very high speeds over wifi, many can't, and it will depend on the device and the wifi connection quality.  For higher speeds a device needs to use multiple connections at the same time (MIMO is the acronym for this), and different devices support different numbers of MIMO streams.  Premium equipment like a recent high end phone or laptop will usually be capable of the highest possible speeds, some devices in the mid range may be limited to around 180-200 Mbps - you can test devices by moving them to a line of sight position six feet from the primary Deco (any closer and you risk having too strong a signal that may reduce speeds), and fast.com is a good test resource across a range of device types.  For maximum performance you might try adding a device to the QoS list in the Deco app to enable the highest possible speeds, but do this judiciously - if you add everything to the QoS list, then you completely defeat the purpose.

It is possible, but I'd be very surprised if you'd get 500 Mbps over wifi if any signal path (device to nearest Deco, or that nearest Deco back to the primary Deco unit) is through solid brick.  Some brick types are particularly dense and some have high iron content, density and iron do for wifi what kryptonite does for Superman.

You could experiment here - buy a cheap long Cat 7 ethernet cable online, and for trial purposes string that between the primary Deco and the one that is nearest (ideally in) the living room.  Doesn't matter if that's all across the floor, it's just a few quid to test this out in the first place.  If that delivers the results you want, then you need to consider how you might route that cable permanently - tidily and without it looking awful.  Flat, white Cat 7 cable can often be tacked discreetly to skirting boards, but there's some art to dealing with doorways and corners.  Drilling walls can reduce the length of cable runs and make for neater fitting, but depends on whether you have the equipment and modest skills to drill the wall safely and reinstate the decor afterwards, and you need to consider the fact that if the cable has fitted plugs that you don't wish to meddle with, then you'd need a 15mm hole, which looks a lot bigger than it sounds when you've just put that through a wall.

0 Kudos