Menu
David762
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What is the best WiFi extender to use with virgin media hub?

I just wondered if anyone has a recommendation for a good WiFi extender to use with a Virgin Media hub and whether Virgin supply these themselves like BT now do? Thanks 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: What is the best WiFi extender to use with virgin media hub?

VM do supply "boosters" - whether you are charged a fee depends on which VM package you have.

If you have a Hub3 you can use their "Connect" App to find dead spots and then order them directly via the App.

Or, you could just get your own and connect it by ethernet cable to the Hub (the Ubiquiti range is well regarded on here). Alternatively you could look at a Mesh wifi system.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Spikeysonic
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What is mesh, or a mesh system and how is it different to the virgin boosts and whihc virgin boosts? looks like they have older and newr and different mocels etc please

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Boosters are, of the available options, the least good way of extending your network. They’re ok if you’re on a tight budget.. but it’s cheap and as with most things, you get what you pay for...

better options are significantly more expensive (start at about £100 and go up from there...)

there are lots of options but;

unifi amplifi

amazon eero

Tp link deco or

netgear orbi 

They’re  all good options that will vastly improve the coverage and performance of WiFi in your house... 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

See these for info.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/best-wireless-mesh-routers

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-mesh-wi-fi-network-systems-3661110/

Check back here to get more info. before you decide to get anything

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Scott7944
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, come across this thread as I’m in a similar predicament! Virgin WiFi does not extend to one particular corner of the house creating a black spot in an upstairs bedroom and one of the Ring cameras located in the same corner has a very weak WiFi strength. Thought I could get away with a range extender as just seems to be one part of the house? Not that clued up on a Mesh network but if I was to invest in one of these would everything connected to the hub via an Ethernet cable still work on a wired connection? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Scott7944 wrote:

Hi, come across this thread as I’m in a similar predicament! Virgin WiFi does not extend to one particular corner of the house creating a black spot in an upstairs bedroom and one of the Ring cameras located in the same corner has a very weak WiFi strength. Thought I could get away with a range extender as just seems to be one part of the house? Not that clued up on a Mesh network but if I was to invest in one of these would everything connected to the hub via an Ethernet cable still work on a wired connection? Thanks in advance.

Yes it will. But if you need more Ethernet ports you’ll need to get a 5 or 8 port unmanaged desktop switch to connect to the mesh

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
aloisegam
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There are quite a few Wi-Fi extenders that can boost the coverage for the Virgin media internet without a significant loss in performance. The best extender for virgin media can be selected using the following criteria:

-Range: Ensuring that there are no dead zones in our homes or offices is the primary reason for getting an extender. The selected Wi-Fi booster should be able to cover the area where the Wi-Fi signals are weak with high-speed internet.
-Wi-Fi speed: There is no need for you to have a high-speed internet plan from Virgin Media if some areas in your house will be getting significantly slower internet. Therefore, as you choose the extender, ensure that it has a good Wi-Fi speed to ensure your devices do not get a significant drop in connection speed when connected to the extender as compared to the router.
-Ethernet port: A good Wi-Fi extender will have an Ethernet port in order to connect the wired devices at home. Therefore, as you choose the extender ensure that it has at least 1 high-speed Ethernet port in order to connect your wired devices.
-Number of devices connected: Our homes are becoming smarter with each passing day. In order to ensure all the devices get high-speed Wi-Fi no matter where they are in the house, it is important to pick an extender that can support a number of devices.
-Other features to consider include parental controls, security features, and appearance. I got to learn these points and much more here: https://technologyreviewer.com/best-wi-fi-extender-for-virgin-media-internet/
GAM
0 Kudos