cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Debian ARRIS Group?

Beketaten
Joining in

Started using the Virgin Connect app and a device called Debian ARRIS Group is showing up as connected to my WiFi network. What is this, and should I remove it? Shows as an "unknown" connection. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The Hub has more than one function - it's primary function is that of cable modem, connecting your house to the internet.  It's also a switch (the four ethernet ports on the back) and a wireless broadcast system.  To enable all these functions together there's an underlying operating system and I guess this is based on Debian Linux...

The Arris router is proprietary to VM, but it isn't the only router that Arris (Touchstone are the OEM) make.

The V6 boxes are also Arris branded so your suggestion that it may be the TV box is probably correct.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Bolehill
Dialled in

This is your Hub I think.

I have a similarly named device on my network.

Thanks - it is shown as being connected to my Hub though. Could it be the Virgin TV box?

If it's a Virgin device why isn't it recognised? 🤔

The Hub has more than one function - it's primary function is that of cable modem, connecting your house to the internet.  It's also a switch (the four ethernet ports on the back) and a wireless broadcast system.  To enable all these functions together there's an underlying operating system and I guess this is based on Debian Linux...

The Arris router is proprietary to VM, but it isn't the only router that Arris (Touchstone are the OEM) make.

The V6 boxes are also Arris branded so your suggestion that it may be the TV box is probably correct.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Beketaten 

My VM 360 is an Arris-DCX960 - it was formerly a V6 before the software uograde to a 360.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

neilbarstow
On our wavelength

Hey, to revisit this, I can see Debian in the Virgin Connect app and have the ability to pause it, is that switching off the hotspot from my hub I wonder? 

Unknown devices on my network are rather concerning me 

thanks

Neil

Client62
Legend

Do not pause any unknown devices on your network.

The unknown device just means a host name has not been returned to the Hub.

In our house my HP Workstation and Kindle both show as unknown - it is nothing to be concerned about.