cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I have to do?

Banderwick
Tuning in

What do I have to do to convince Virgin media that my Hub3 is faulty (as I understand it on here and elsewhere a red light in modem mode means the router is overheating, I should be getting a magenta light) I want to use my own WiFi router, there is an option in settings to put router in modem mode yet this never seems to work properly (as in no Internet) I had everything working well in modem mode with my WiFi router working for a day. I had to unplug virgin hub3, after that it won't work anymore. (no Internet on ethernet ports either in modem mode) 

How do I speak to a competent person at virgin, or get an engineer to my house, I was promised in first 10 days from engineer that installed everything I could contact him as he was responsible, but conveniently you couldn't read his number so I wasn't able to contact him.

Only been with Virgin around 2 weeks, seriously regretting the move to them, might even see if I can cancel.

Its true what they say about Virgin, the customer service is appalling! 

Getting nowhere with phone call or chat 

Many thanks for any help

Info I have just seen since I posted this below is on virgin media web. 

I have never had white power light and flashing red WiFi in modem mode.  

Only a red power light 

Hub 3

Here’s what the lights mean on Hub 3:

White power light is on and WiFi light is flashing red

This means the Hub is in modem mode and won’t be sharing WiFi. If you’ve done this on purpose you’ll probably be using your own hub alongside the Hub. You can take the Hub out of modem mode if you know how, and if not you can reset the Hub by pressing the pinhole factory reset button for 10 seconds with the tip of a pen and leaving it for 5–10 minutes to start up. When it’s finished you’ll see the solidly lit white power light.

Red power light is on

This means the Hub is too hot. Place it out in the open with its vents uncovered, upright, and away from heat sources.

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Legend

Colour is very subjective. One man's red is another man's magenta.

The Hub 3 menu has a Diagnostic function.

Run the Diagnostic and scroll down through the results to find the report for the Hub's operating temperature.

Is the Hub 3 reporting as Normal Temp or Too Hot ?

Ok many thanks, I have looked but can't see any diagnostic to test temperature of hub. Only network diagnostics 

Client62
Legend

Use the Network diagnostic tool

Then scroll down through the list of results to find the temperature entry.

Yes I found it, says temperature is normal, so I don't know. 

Many thanks 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When in modem mode you need to connect your router in a defined sequence - try again like this...

To correctly set it up see Tudor’s message 2 in here….
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub3-in-Modem-mode/td-p/5206738

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Many thanks, I will try 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did it work?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Many thanks again, yes it did work but only after do factory reset. 

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Banderwick thanks for your post here in the Community although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here.

We're glad to hear that since your post, you've managed to get things working again. If you do need any further help, please let us know!
Many thanks

Tom_W