cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What actually is my wifi speed?

angiemike6
Tuning in

I have a pc with an Intel AX210 wifi 5 card installed in it. The PC is in the same room as the router and about 10 ft from it. I used to be on a 350 mbps connection with Virgin and Sam Knows Realspeed showed I was getting speeds to my device of 364 mbps. 

I am now on a 1 gig connection.  When I first switched over I was only getting speeds of about 250 mbps which I could not understand as these were slower speeds than on the 350 mbps connection.  After speaking with Virgin they said they would monitor for a month and Sam Knows Realspeed is currently showing device speeds of about 450 mbps.  it is showing speed to router as 1152 mbps which is about right.

What I am confused about is that although Sam Knows Realspeed is only showing a device speed of 450 mbps, Ookla's Speedtest is showing a speed of 830 mbps.  Which is right?

If Ookla is right then these speeds are acceptable, but as Virgin seems to rely these days on Sam Knows Realspeed then 450 mbps is not what I am paying for, especially as it is not that much faster than I was getting on the previous 350 mbps connection.

For information I had a Hub 3 with the 350 mbps connection and now have a Hub5 with the 1 gig connection.

Are there any changes to the settings of my Intel Wifi 6 card, or the Hub5 settings that would be recommended?

Any advice will be appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8

Client62
Legend

As you have seen a speed test hit 830Mb/s changing the Wi-Fi settings is not advisable.

Hi Client62. I agree if I am really getting 830mbps but my question is am I?  If I use Sam Knows Realspeed it is telling me I am only getting 450mbps. Is Ookla or Sam Knows the correct speed, as they are so far apart.

Client62
Legend

Web based speed tests are notorious for very variable results.

Open the Task Manager of the computer and display the detailed stats of the Wi-Fi network card.

Repeat the speed tests and watch data rate reported in the Task Manager.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Download a very large Linux ISO or similar.  TIme the results. Rinse and repeat a few times and get an average.  This is a better measure of your download speeds.

From memory Thinkbroadband have suitable files for this exercise.

Note however as advised by @Client62   wifi is notorious for consistency, you need to test over a cabled connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

carl_pearce
Community elder

I find the below site consistent:

https://proof.ovh.net/

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes decent site, but WiFi is a fickle beast. I can get anything from 45 to 450 on WiFi depending on band and distance from the AP’s

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I did not realise you could do this, and not being a systems expert hope that I am doing it right.  When running Ookla speedtest, speedtest showed speed at 800 mbps and taskmanager peaked at about 850 mbps.  When using Sam knows Realspeed it showed speed at 379 mbps and taskmanager peaked at about 430 mbps.  So still confused as to how my wifi speed is doing compared to what I am paying for.

Hi @angiemike6, thank you for your posts.

In order to look into this for you further, we'll send you a private message on here. Look out for the envelope in the top right-hand corner.

If you're on a portable device with a smaller screen, click on the icon in the top right-hand corner and select "messages" from the additional menu options.

Thank you for your support @Client62, @Adduxi and @carl_pearce 👍

Regards,
Daniel