Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What Network card for new Laptop.

Hello . I would like to buy a new notebook or laptop that will take advantage of my VM internet.

Should I be looking for a 2.4ghz and 5ghz ? .

When looking at the specs of the laptop/notebook what network card should I be looking for ?

Any help would be fantastic .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: What Network card for new Laptop.

For best speeds I would go for a MIMO Wireless AC card, (866 Mbps Link) assuming you have a SH2AC or Hub 3

The hub broadcasts on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands simultaneously, so you don't need to chose between the bands, but I would definitely not go for a 2.4 GHz only card.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your help , I have the Hub 3.

Do you know what Notebook's have the MIMO Wireless AC card ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There are quite a few, HP Probook , Dell latitude 3590, just two picked at random.

However, I would not choose a laptop purely on wireless capabilities, as you could always get a USB wireless dongle if the push comes to the shove.

Personally, I select a laptop on screen size, processing power and graphics, which are all important to me.

I can always add a wireless Usb adapter and more memory if need be.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you . Yes I agree ( screen size, processing power and graphics ) I know what to look for regarding these but network cards totally new for me .

What should I enter in the search engine to find Notebook /Laptop with these network cards ? . I don't want a USB wireless dongle.

My budget is £1000.

Alessandro Volta , Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Most modern (non budget) laptops will have dual mimo capability as Griffin has said. However you could go for triple ! I am Macbook's only and mine are all dual mimo (and have been for many years) but the new Macbook Pro has gone "triple" - I do appreciate that the MBP would be well over your budget - and arguably underpowered for some applications.

"One component that Apple hasn’t skimped on for this generation is the internal Wi-Fi. Rather than stick with the usual 802.11AC with a 2×2 MIMO antenna setup typically seen on most laptops, Apple has decided to opt for a 802.11AC with a 3×3 MIMO antenna setup which makes it one of the very few laptops on the market with a 3×3 MIMO antenna system."

Full review here   https://www.custompcreview.com/reviews/testing-apple-macbook-pro-touchbar-wi-fi-3x3-mimo-make-differ...

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I never said most laptops are MIMO capable, but quite a few. It is definetly worth checking before you buy.
The MACs do have 3x3 MIMO but at the end of the day it is still a MAC.

Just browse the tech specs of the laptop, if the wireless specs say 802.11 a\b\g\n\ac then it is more than likely a single stream adapter. You are looking for MIMO or 2x2 or 3x3 or you might come across a 4x4 which is very rare in laptops.

An example below
I have highlighted the LAN adapter in red as it is crucial you get a gigabit LAN adapter as well.

Realtek RTL8111HSH-CG 10/100/1000 GbE NIC
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 9560 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 5 Combo, non-vPro™
2 USB 3.1 Gen 1
1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Power delivery, DisplayPort™)
1 USB 2.0 (power port)
0 Kudos