Menu
wideboy32
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Web safe in modem mode

So 2 questions:

1) Recently had to invest in mesh network as the router couldn't cope with new house. Switched to modem mode, all working ok, except Web Safe. Have checked my account. It's on and has the same sites / options as I always had with young kids in the house. I tried some adult sites and they're not being blocked. Have tried rebooting and switching web safe on / off.

2) On the Virgin media website, how on earth do you log a fault / raise a ticket? Just spent 20 mins going round in a loop. Very unfriendly and unhelpful site...only option was to come here. So much for the tag line "only contact us if you need to". How about adding...and if you can find the secret back door to log a fault! Grrrr

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
paul0363
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Web safe in modem mode

Websafe *should* work in modem mode. 

If you're using your own router you must use Virgin's DNS servers to allow Websafe to work.  If you've got Google DNS (8.8.8.8) set or another provider then Websafe won't work.

Set the DNS settings in your router to "get automatically" or set manually to 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100.

As for Q2 - you can't raise a fault via the website - you need to call in or come on here.

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

There’s no reason it wouldn’t work in modem mode, though disabling and reenabling it may be required... since you’ve already done that I can’t offer up much more other than to say that there are other options out there that do the same job.. easiest is probably cloud flare.. set the dns servers that you hand out to dhcp clients to be 1.1.1.3 / 1.0.0.3 for adult/malware filtering. 

Another option is Cisco’s opendns, where you need to create an account but get quite a bit of control over what is and isn’t blocked..

as for question 2... you can’t. You have to call. Staff do participate at the forums but it’s not really a ticketing system... 😉

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The problem with Web safe was always going to be to update the DNS ACL with your new WAN IP and its likely buggy too.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Check what DNS is being set in the Mesh.

If it's the Google Mesh system it defaults to Google DNS

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi @wideboy32,

Welcome back to our Community Forums 🙂

Thanks for your query regarding WebSafe and I am sorry for any trouble you have had trying to contact us. 

As advised by our Community members, WebSafe should still work for you as long as you do not use a custom DNS setting on your router since WebSafe relies on our DNS servers.  

Kind Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos